Iron Supplements with prenatal vitamins?

iVillage Member
Iron Supplements with prenatal vitamins?
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 4:39pm

Hi,

I just had my SIPS bloodwork the other day and my ferratin levels were low so the doctor told me to buy iron supplements. She knows I am taking a prenatal vitamin and asked how I am tolerating it, since they can make you constipated and so can iron pills. I told her, if anything they have the opposite affect lol  and she said good. So I went and bought some iron pills, but now the questions pop into my head. Can I take them at the same time as the prenatals? I  take those first thing in the morning with breakfast. I never feel sick from them and tolerate them very well.

From what Ive read your not supposed to combine the two, as too much iron at once can't be properly absorbed by the body and apparently can be harmful as well. But I also read alot saying that it was fine to take both at once, and I assume if it isn't the doctor would have told me something of that importance. The back of the bottle says take a few hours before or after any other medication....I think I will ask the pharmacist about taking both at once. Also the Dr never told me how much to take. I mean she said one tablet a day but don't tablets come in different strengths?? So confusing

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2012 - 9:42pm

I would call the Dr again just to get clarification!!  I never ever hesitate to call my Dr. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 11:30am

I second calling the dr to get your questions answered.  My prenatal does not contain iron...I tried prenatals with iron and they killed my stomach...this was when we were trying and not yet pregnant so I know it wasn't just m/s. ;-)  Hope you have it all figured out soon!

Picture1
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 3:10pm

Thanks for the replies. I spoke to the pharmacist and she explained prenatals infact have very little iron and it is fine to be taking both but just not to take them both at once. So two days ago I started the iron pills. I take my prenatal in the morning with breakfast and sometime in the afternoon/early evening I take my iron. So far so good. My stomach is totally fine :smileyhappy: