This may be a stupid question/thought....

iVillage Member
This may be a stupid question/thought....
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 6:11pm

So I have been wondering lately if because of my very small size my uterus/ligaments are as strong/durable as the average sized womens? I figure if they are smaller, they probably don't have the same "stretch" capacity as others. What if things don't hold up when I get farther along and...well....collapse or tear? lol I know it sounds nuts probably, but to me it seems logical that a smaller uterus and ligaments would not be able to stretch/grow like everyone elses. I also wonder the same thing about my cervix and pelvis. What if the muscles jut don't have the strength thats needed because of their small size? I did ask a doctor prior to even getting pregnant if it was something I could safely do because of my size, and I was told other than the size of the baby becomming a complication I should be perfectly fine and there was generally no risk to myself or the baby. Stupid to wonder about? I meet with my OB the Dr has set up for me, next friday for a consultation. I intend to ask her....hopefully not sound to stupid or naive, but like I said, I see it as possibly being a very logical concern.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 10:32pm
Well I have good news for you and bad news....good news is, that your dr, obs and midwife will be well aware of any issues, you are in good medical hands and as long as you maintain your health I can only imagine that you'll be holding a beautiful baby in no time at all. Bad news...well everything is made to stretch and move during pregnancy so that is natural. But skin doesn't bounce back as well as muscles and bones. I have one word for you...stretchmarks. I had a small-normal frame but a very large first baby. My skin across my stomach from pubic bone to navel looks like i stole it from a tiger or a zebra. But there is more good news...these marks fade over time. And I personally wouldn't swap my first baby for having my perfect tummy skin back.

No seriously, I think you'll be fine. Just communicate with your medical staff and ask all the questions you need to. These fears are quite natural.

Candice
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 9:45pm

Well unfortunately I was born 3 months early and weighed 2lbs 10oz. So my birth weight wouldn't exactly be accurate towards estimating the possible size of our baby lol. Who knows what I would have weighed if I had been born later. Pus I was adopted by my primary care nurse, as my birth parents never came back to the hospital for me, so I don't know if my being so small is due to being a premie, genetics or both. I know almost nothing of my medical history.I was told my birth mother delivered early due to hypertension,but also heard she had a problem with her uterus. I don't know which of those if any are correct.

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-09-2012 - 12:12am

Oh wow, you are tiny!!   I can see why you'd be a bit more worried then!  I have a pretty thin frame, but def more "space" than you.  But I'm sure you'll be fine :smileyhappy:  I also have another friend who is 4'11 and I think like 95-ish lbs... and she carried her daughter with no issues.  I hear ya on the hubby's baby weight - mine was 10 lbs, so I was freaking about that!  But they say to look at your birth weight & his, to get an average idea.  If you are so small, it should even out.  And the baby will definitely find room & fit to your body type.  I'm sure your ribs will feel "squished" and get kicked a little as you get bigger- that's not fun!  But it's all worth it in the end of course.  That's awesome you've had an easy first trimester!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 11:13pm

Thanks for the replies lol. I know this is what our bodies are made for, and my body will adapt.I am just so small. 4'9" 87 lbs. I am 14 weeks this monday, and pre-pregnancy I was 82lbs. I gained 5 lbs in the last month. The Dr said I will put on the weight my body needs. I've always been tiny though. I used to attempt to gain weight even,eating specific foods, buying special shakes etc. But a few years ago I realised if I were meant to be heavier I would be lol But I am small everywhere. I have a small pelvis, and every Dr that has asked how big my partner is and was at birth, they all sort of give me this look like "oh, sh**" lol and then go on to say, well, lets hope the baby doesn't get that large. It's already decided I will be having a c-section. I just look in the mirror at my already small bump and think, where is this poor baby going to fit, and how am I going to be able to even breathe and walk once I get to around 6 months! I know I'll be quite uncomfortable, I am prepared for that.I can't complain really as I've had the easiest first trimseter on record probably. Friends that have children already almost look dissapointed when they learn I've had next to no MS and my boobs only got sore and large around week 10.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-08-2012 - 8:50pm

I wouldn't say that's true at all... don't worry!  I'm petite (well, weight-wise... right now I weigh 120 & I'm 13 wks along).  I'm not short though, 5'6", but do have a petite frame.  But anyway, this will be my 3rd.  I've had no problems at all.  Toward the end of my first labor the baby didn't seem to be moving down much further.  But the doc gave it a while longer, and he did move down.  All went well!  And my 2nd delivery was quick and went smoothly... (both babies were 8 lbs, and 22 in.  So a decent size).  Also my friend just had twins and she's short & petite.  She needed to have a cerclage for her cervix, and bed rest at the end... but otherwise all went well!  Our bodies are made to have babies, and the stretch capacity is there :smileyhappy:  Oh and as far as that goes... I carried all in front, didn't even look like I gained too much elsewhere... and boy your belly can stretch.  May not be comfortable toward the end, but other then having major stretchmarks I was just fine.  And unless you have something specific wrong with your cervix, I'd say there's no risk of anything collapsing or tearing.  And like your dr said, if the baby ends up being quite large it might just have trouble moving down through your pelvis.  But they will monitor that & do c-sec if necessary.  But don't worry about carrying, your body will do it's thing :smileywink:  I'm no doc, but just my thoughts!