Not opting for addition screening, NT or otherwise.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Not opting for addition screening, NT or otherwise.
Sun, 08-12-2012 - 6:05pm
After reading posts on a few of the EC boards, I feel like the minority for choosing not to take the tests. I'm 36 and my midwife has not mentioned my age once as a concern. This was her explanation of the test:

- If you are 100% sure you would terminate if there was a defect, then get the test
- If you are 100% sure you would not terminate, then don't get the test
- If you don't know what you would do and it will cause you extra worry and stress for you and your partner, don't get the test
- Considering how many false +/- there are, and if you are 100% against an amino, don't test

We know that this is our baby now, and we would never terminate, and if he/she is born with a defect, we would be unprepared yes, but no less willing to do what we had to do for the baby. I would never, ever forgive myself if I had an amino to ultimately prove a positive test wrong and lose the baby. I just can't comprehend that.

Sometimes technology makes nature seem insufficient or insignificant, I guess that bothers me :smileysad:

**In no way would I argue with YOUR decision to have it done! This is just MHO! Everyone will do what is right for their family :smileyhappy:
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2012 - 11:24am
This is my 4th baby and we have never tested. I am 33. We wouldn't choose to terminate and I figure God will give me exactly what I can handle. :smileyhappy:
Proud mama to 3 princesses... Anna Jubilee (6), Sadie Lael, (4) and Abigail Lo