What Do You Want in the Delivery Room?

iVillage Member
What Do You Want in the Delivery Room?
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 9:36am

Aromatherapy. Pressure-point massage. Water therapy in Jacuzzi-style tubs, with an option to dim the lights and play music. It might sound like a plush spa, but these services are for pain relief and distraction, not pampering.

Such amenities can weigh heavily when a pregnant patient is choosing where to deliver her baby, according to interviews with doctors, nurses, and midwives at hospitals around the Boston area, and maternity services have had to evolve to keep up with women’s expectations.

What women want in the delivery room- http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-18/health-wellness/32279038_1_pregnant-women-community-hospitals-...

Have you decided where you will deliver your baby yet?  If so, why did you select the hospital you did? Did extra amenities and/or services play a role in your decision?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 3:11am

I'm so torn on this one :-(

We live in Germany and there is 1 US hospital about 20 minutes away.  I don't know if they have tubs and stuff.  There are also midwife/doula services in our area. 

My first DD was induced, kind of.  I was leaking and, when the doctor checked me, she accidentally broke my water.  They let me sleep (it was 10pm) but then gave me pitocin around 7am.  Had some demerol which didn't help and made me sick.  Had an epidural.  Dilated from 5 to 10 in 20 minutes and was done by 1:05 pm. 

My second DD was induced on purpose.  My Mom had an 8-hour drive to make and I didn't want her to miss it, plus she was bringing my Grandma so she could watch DD#1.  Same kind of experience.  Pitocin at 6am, no demerol, made it through the pain until it was time for the epidural, epidural at 4cm, dilated from 4 to 10 in 15 minutes and baby was out in 1 push.  Done by 12:36 pm. 

My point is, that I do well with inductions and epidurals.  But I always said if I had another baby, I wanted to try it the "natural" way with no epidural and no pitocin.  But how can I do that this time considering my Mom and Grandma have to fly to Germany to be here for my girls?  I'm actually a little upset about it because I really, really wanted to try it without the drugs.  But it just doesn't make sense to take that chance and have my family miss the birth and have my girls with strangers.  So I guess I'll be asking for an induction at 39 weeks and having an epidural.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 7:20pm

The thing I tend to use most is the rocking chair.  

Typically, I walk the halls until my contractions make me stop with each one.  Then I rock in the rocking chair, sort of rocking back with the peak of the contraction (as if I'm trying to get away from it - ha!).  Then eventually when that gets too painful, its time for the bed because I'm likely down to the last stages of labor.  I've only done it without drugs once (#4), for various reasons.  But I definitely preferred the recovery of that birth compared to the others.  I plan to try this one again without the epidural.

TRACY.....mom to: Timothy (17), Regan (12), Laurel (9), Ziggy (4), Vaughan (2)
  Breastfeeding mama for a combined 11+ years (and counting).
  Former foster mom to 18 awesome kids.
  Losses: m/c May '04, m/c July '04, ectopic March '05, m/c March '12, m/c August '12

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 12:16am
I do home waterbirths, so:
Birth Tub with lots of warm water
Midwife and Doula
Family (including kids) and friends
Whatever I want to eat and drink
The ability to move and even catch my own baby
Soft Music and Candles
All of my familiar surroundings, no machines to be hooked up to, no place to go but my bed afterwards :smileyhappy:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 4:55pm

My hubby, my doctor and a mirror at the very end so I can see the birth.

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 9:31am

My husband, soft background music, and hopefully dim lights.... it helps to relax me. I also would like the option to be able to move and get in different positions that will make me more comfortable.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 10:50pm
The hospital we are using this time has the Jacuzzi tubs. I liked that with my first. Though I hope to spend more time at home and no drugs. I do have a 30 min drive to the hospital this time however. I want my husband for sure. My mom was there last time but she will probably have Simon this time around.

Cassie 

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2012 - 9:06pm
Drugs. I always get induced so going on past experience of large babies turned the wrong way, and being unable to move I'll simply be walking in and asking for epidural. If I can't move than I can't do what I need to to get rid of the pain naturally. So yeah, uninspired I know, but drugs. Oh and a darling midwife of two.

Candice
 BabyFruit Ticker