What's Your Plan for Maternity Leave?

iVillage Member
What's Your Plan for Maternity Leave?
Fri, 09-21-2012 - 9:21am

Not that we needed another reason to convince us that extended maternity leave should be an option for all working women, but new research shows when moms-to-be stayed on the job past eight months of pregnancy, their babies weighed less than those born to moms who stopped working earlier.

The Guardian in London reports the study out of the University of Essex, using data from one U.S. report and two U.K. studies, found the half (.5) pound average difference was the same weight disparity shown between smoking and non-smoking pregnant moms. [Enter your own work-can-be-dangerous-to-your-health joke here.]

Interesting!  I know it isn't always possible to take an extended maternity leave. Will you work up until your due date? Take some time off before baby arrives?  What's your plan for taking time off?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 7:42pm

Working right up until my due date, then will get 6 weeks paid, followed by 6 weeks unpaid through FMLA.  Wish they would allow longer leaves!

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-09-2012 - 4:37am
Crazy as it sounds, the Department of Defense doesn't offer paid maternity leave to civilians. You have to use whatever sick leave or vacation leave you have accumulated. And since I've only had this job for 5 months, I don't have much. I'm trying to save all I can for the 6 weeks after the baby is born so I will probably work up to the point when I go into labor. Luckily, the hospital is only about 15 minutes from where I work. And my husband is on base too so he's nearby.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-08-2012 - 8:30am

I will probably work through January and then spend the4 last 4 weeks before my EDD at home.  I don't plan on returning to my job at the same capacity.  I will probably offer to do some per diem work after 2 months or so. 

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-07-2012 - 2:02pm

The plan right now is to stop working 2 weeks before my due date and stay home with the baby until 6 weeks old. I may have to leave before then if my blood pressure doesn't cooperate. I wish I could take the rest of the school year off to stay home with the baby, but that's just not feasible for us right now.