is anyone else here dealing with the RH factor playing a huge role in their pregnancy?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
is anyone else here dealing with the RH factor playing a huge role in their pregnancy?
Wed, 08-08-2012 - 8:23am

Good morning ladies,

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else have the RH factor playing a big role in their pregnancy?
I've had 2 early miscarriages, One was almost 10 years ago and ended in a D&C, and the most recent was in Feburary, Both times the doctors told me that my blood type may have played a factor in the miscarriages (I'm a B negative blood type), both times I was given a vaccine of WinRho, and when I had a bleeding scare 2 weeks ago, I was given WinRho again.

The doctor in the ER (who had little to no compassion what-so-ever) made it very clear that because I'm RH-, the baby could die at birth (how awful!!!), or be very anemic and need a blood transfusion, of course this has had me worried that I've made a terrible choice to get pregnant. has anyone else expierenced anything like this? I also seem to read a lot about the vaccine causing brain bleeds and autism. Why does this all have to be so complicated?

Anyone else here feeling the stress?

iVillage Member

I am a lurker from the Oct EC board. I am RH  negative and DH is RH positive. I don't know why the doctors are scaring you so much because any complications can be avoided by having the rhogam shot. I have never heard of having a miscarriage BECAUSE of being RH negative. I think they didn't know why, so they blamed the first thing that came to their head. I had an  ectopic in 2010 and during it they gave me the rhogam shot and that was that. This pregnancy, I had to have the rhogam shot at 28 weeks and will have another one at birth. It is no big deal.

Are you Rh-sensitized (meaning that your immune system produces antibodies against Rh-positive blood)?. It is a test that can be done. I suppose if you are sensitized then they would watch you more closely but it sounds like you got all the shots you needed during your miscarriages.   Is WinRho the same as Rhogam?

I am considered high risk for other reasons and I go to a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor and they are not freaking about the RH negative status at all. It is very routine and if you get the shot there should be NO problem. These docs know their stuff and have more training than a regular OB.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
You might be sensitized but I would definitely demand your OB to either tell you or run the test. I think they run the test when they run your blood type. Good luck!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
I agree with Christy on this. I am RH- and DH is RH+. Typically, all this means is that my blood type is - and the baby's will be +. I have to have a rhogam shot after the baby is born. The purpose of the shot is to prevent your blood from battling the baby's blood, just in case any of it mixed together during the birth. I had some bleeding last week and they couldn't tell if it was coming from inside my uterus so they gave me the shot just in case. I've never heard of this causing m/c's or complications. Usually, they know about it as soon as they do your blood work in the very beginning so they shouldn't be scaring you or making you think that this will be a problem.

If you're RH sensitive, I guess that could be a different story but it's something they should explain to you. Again, I'm with Christy, the next time you see your OB, I would ask for some clarification.

Good luck girl! Keep us posted :-)
iVillage Member
are you rh sensitive? ie. do yo uhave rh factors in your blood? if so, it will be high risk, but they will monitor the baby and everything should be fine.
If you are negative and baby daddy is positive, like my scenario, I got a rhogam shot with any bleeding, at 26ish weeks...and then after birth if baby is a positive...which both my kids are, had a miscarriage first, didn't get the rhogam shot in time, and my last pregnancy I was pregnant with twins and lost one at 10 weeks, found out at my 12 week ultrasound, and had the rhogam shot.
if you get the shot you are all good, they can test for the antibodies, my doc. says by no means am I at risk, or the reason for a miscarriage or anything.
Photobucket