Mixed feelings about applying for W.I.C.

iVillage Member
Mixed feelings about applying for W.I.C.
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 10:41am

I just made my appointment for this coming Monday.  I already checked the numbers, and I know the two youngest boys and I will qualify.  

I was on W.I.C. seventeen years ago when I was an unmarried teenage mother.  It is the only sort of assistance I have ever been on.  Since we got married we've never qualified for any assistance of any kind.  We've always been just over the line.  So, struggling, but making our way on our own.  But his job (IT at a library) has gottent tight and three years in a row he's recieved a miniscule raise that doesn't even cover cost of living increase.  Things have snowballed in the last six months (a few ER visits, and over $1000 in school expenses alone this month - for public school!) to where I feel like we're struggling more.  Plus, all of my after-school babysitting kids grew up, and I haven't found any replacements, so I've also lost that little bit of income I'd been bringing in as a SAHM.  

Since I'm pregnant now, we officially qualify for W.I.C., so I decided to go ahead and do it.  But man, I feel like such a failure.  I think its because its taking me back to my insecure teenage pregnancy emotions.  I am not ashamed of having a large family, though this is likely our last kid.  He has a higher paying job on the horizon, but not for a year or so.  So this 'assistance' is totally temporary.  I still feel guilty about acepting any help though.  Its just not what we do.  But he's been so stressed lately, I feel like I can at least help with the grocery bill in this small way.  

TRACY.....mom to: Timothy (17), Regan (12), Laurel (9), Ziggy (4), Vaughan (2)
  Breastfeeding mama for a combined 11+ years (and counting).
  Former foster mom to 18 awesome kids.
  Losses: m/c May '04, m/c July '04, ectopic March '05, m/c March '12, m/c August '12

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 9:19am
I agree with msteffey! Times are hard and sometimes even the most hard working people need a little bit of help. There is no shame in that! WIC is a great program and while I understand where you are coming from, try not to feel ashamed for taking using it. You qualify for it so it isn't as if you are taking advantage of the system. You are looking for temporary help until you situation gets better- something I think a lot of us fully understand in this day and age! HUGS!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:05pm
Hugs, mama, that's what it's for! There's no shame in it. If it helps you get through a rough spot and you're not abusing the system, then I say go for it!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting