Placenta Previa :(

iVillage Member
Placenta Previa :(
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 8:50pm

That means the placenta is completely covering the cervix... no way out!  :)  This most likely means c-section for me which will be a new experience.  I have delivered all 3 of my girls naturally.  There is a small chance it could move, but my doctor didn't sound too optimistic about that. 

I have instructions to take it pretty easy for now and with 3rd trimester will come more restrictions.  No intercourse, no lifting, possible bedrest (yeah, right!).  I guess what kind of unnerves me is the potential for heavy bleeding in 3rd tri.  My doc instructed me to get myself to the hospital immediately should any bleeding begin.  She told me 250 ml of blood pass through the placenta every minute (a styrofoam cup full) so if bleeding starts you can lose a lot of blood very quickly.  I live on an acreage in a rural area so it's 20 minutes to the nearest hospital (a very small one) and 1 1/2 hours to the big city hospital where I'll actually deliver. 

Hoping things will be rather uneventful and progress smoothly from here!

Anyone else expereience previa before?

Proud mama to 3 princesses... Anna Jubilee (6), Sadie Lael, (4) and Abigail Lo
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 10:46pm

I am thinking  about you. I have never had, and can't tell you anything. I did have low placenta, and it moved up by the time I delievered. Hang in there.

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-20-2012 - 11:49am

I had it with my second.  I found out at my 20 wk ultrasound.  I can't remember if it was complete, or just partially covering the cervix.   I was told the same things as you, take it easy and watch for bleeding.  I had other ultrasounds later in the pregnancy and found that the placenta had moved enough for me to have a vaginal delivery.  I can't remember when this all happened, I'm sorry I'm not more help.  Praying for you.

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-19-2012 - 9:19pm

I actually had it with my first child. I was very scared about it at first but I followed every instruction that my doctor gave to me. Here's the down side (which happened to me, may or may not happen to you). I was put on complete bedrest when I reached 34 weeks, I had an amniocentesis at 37.5 weeks to check for lung maturity because by that point I was miserable. Miserable meaning....I had to stay in bed all day, and it was really boring. I did have c-section, and everything went very smoothly.