test results came back today

iVillage Member
test results came back today
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 2:57pm

I got a call from the dr this morning with the test results of the MaterniT21Plus test.  The test tested fetal cells in my blood for the presence of Trisomy 13, 18, and 21.

According to the doctor, the baby's cells tested positive for trisomy 21 -- meaning I have a 99% chance of having a baby with Down's Syndrome.

The emotions right now are on a rollar coaster but I am not ending the pg because of this.

Off to gather more information...

Lisa

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 3:45pm

((((hugs)))) 

I have taught children with downs syndrome under the age of five, and let me tell you they are PRECIOUS!  :smileyhappy:  They are super flexible, adorable, and everyone of my previous students have always tried their hardest.  I only tell you this because I want to give you hope.  :smileyhappy:  

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 8:22pm

Your child will be born into such a loving home. Being pg at 42, I have thought a lot about the situation that you are facing.  I would be doing the same thing that you are....arming myself with information and preparing.  I have chosen to not endure any invasive testing (amnio).  So far my sequential screen came back within normal limits but nothing is 100% so I think about this a lot.  

I volunteered at a school for children with special needs 2 years ago.  We had students living with cerebral palsey, autism, and down syndrome.  They were all just the sweetest kids to me.  I learned SO MUCH from them!  I truly believe that we are not only there to teach them, but they are here to teach us.

I know you are riding that rollercoaster right now but hoping that the track smooths out for you real soon. (((Hugs))) 

BabyName Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 10:19pm

first...((hugs)) to you, i can only imagine what you're going through right now, and kudos to you for not letting this change how you feel about your pregnancy or baby. second...i agree that these tests sometimes give false positives. my dr even told me this and said  that to be 100 percent sure, an amnio would be needed. if that is an option for you, i say go for it. otherwise, just pray the safe arrival of a healthy baby that may have downs but is still a blessing and unconditionally loved.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 11:19pm
I'll be thinking of you! I have opted out of all the testing for each of my pregnancies. With baby #2, however, my doctor raised concerns about some specific things that turned up in the anatomy scan during the 20 week u/s. We were told to prepare for the possibility of a down syndrome baby. It was nerve-wracking, but we also knew a family who had a sweet Down's Syndrome child and knew we'd roll with the punches know matter what.

It turned out that our baby was not Down's Syndrome after all. Nothing is 100%, but even if things turn out differently, I am sure you will be ready.

*hugs*

Kelly
Proud mama to 3 princesses... Anna Jubilee (6), Sadie Lael, (4) and Abigail Lo
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 10:51pm

Since the test is a newer test with an accuracy level of 98-99% I'm not holding any hope for a false positve, now if the test was like the older test that has about an 80% accuracy level, it would be a different story. -- but I am hoping that the effects of it will be on the milder side.  Not willing to do the invasive testing -- not willing to take the tiny chance of miscarriage for the tiny chance that the test was wrong.  We will be scheduling an appointment with the genetic counselor to ask questions/gather more information.

Sitting in church this morning, I realized it's not the Down's that has me scared, it's that one of the common co-conditions, i.e. heart problems,  could cause us to lose this child too, that has me terrified...I've had 3 miscarriages and I'm not sure I can handle losing another.

I am feeling better about the test results now that I've had some time to process it and the shock has worn off.  Holland here we come :smileytongue:

Lisa

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 7:59pm

((((Hugs))))  It's going to be a scarey journey, but when all is said and done, just think about all the people your family will bless.  =)  There is no such greater blessing than meeting a child with Downs Syndrome (and Autism...which two of my boys have). 

There are going to be lots of therapies he or she will need, but finding a good support group will help keep you sane!  Trust me, it's exhausting, but worth it!  =)

I can tell you're a strong moma who will do anything for her child!  Because of that, your baby will defeat all odds, and go far in life!  (Yes, I'm the cheesy woman who writes cheesy stuff!  LoL)  =)

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 12:11pm
hugs. has to be an insane emotional rollercoaster for you. I have also worked with quite a few kids with downs, they are amazing, so lovin and sweet. they are amazing and so are their families.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 4:23pm

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Becky

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-03-2012 - 2:30am

Sending positive thoughts & prayers to you, as you go through the research & learn more.  I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better after some time to process it all... and that your sweet little one will have a loving family no matter what.  That's all that matters!