What CAN'T I eat?!

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
What CAN'T I eat?!
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 2:34pm

Hi everyone!

As I mentioned in my introduction, this is my first pregnancy and I have lots of questions. I've been really worried about things I should be avoiding when it comes to food. My doctor didn't really give me a concrete list of foods to avoid, and I think I'm researching and reading TOO MUCH (I've been seeing the craziest things on the enternet)! Since most of you have done this before, do you think you can tell me what I shouldn't eat during this pregnancy? It would be so helpful!!!

Thanks!!

_Kylie

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 8:45pm

LOL well that all depends on who you ask and how comfortable you are with things.  When I am pregnant I pretty much stay away from anything that they say can harm the baby!!  The things I avoid during the whole pregnancy:

Fish of any kind

mexican cheeses and cheeses that aren't pasturized

deli meats because they can contain listeria (however they say if you heat it up to a certain temp. is should be okay)

caffeine

homemade icecream because it contains raw eggs.

Those are the main things I stay away from.  Now they say some fish is good for you in small quantities and they say also that a little caffeine can't hurt you or the baby but I just don't chance it.  I always try to be safe for my baby.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-29-2012 - 12:14am
Soft cheese
Tuna and Salmon
Nuts
meat has to be very well cooked, so does fish.
Green salads have to be thoroughly washed for listeria
aspartame (so no diet drinks)
cafeine
Meez 3D avatar avatars games
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 4:30am
there is no conslusive result to research done on nuts and allergies during pregnancy yet, but some studies suggest that perhaps consumption esp of peanuts may cause baby to become allergic after they're born.
In the UK the national health system was advising till last year to keep away from nuts, but this year a new study says it's not proven yet....

so in any case, since it's on the table as a possibility, i rather keep off nuts for a few months, i can survive. :smileysurprised:)
Meez 3D avatar avatars games