Gender Question

iVillage Member
Gender Question
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 8:48pm

Hi everyone, I am 13 weeks and I just had the first part of my sequential screening at 12 wks 6 days. During the scan, the tech and then the dr tried to look for the gender and said they couldn't find any boys parts. The tech was seemed surprised since I have three boys already and have been expecting this one to be another. She said she can normally see something even at 13 weeks then went on to say it was too early to tell. The dr tried again and also said he couldn't find boy parts but that it meant nothing because it is so early. All the info I have seen on checking gender at 13 weeks is that there should be a nub that is open to interpretation but there was nothing. Is it really possible I could have a girl after three boys??? I am afraid to get excited about it and will totally be happy either way but I can't seem to stop obsessing about the fact that there was nothing there! Does anyone have any experience with this? Unfortunetly, they did not give me a picture to share.  

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-22-2012 - 11:43pm

Hi and welcome to the board!  

I too am in the same boat as you, with three boys and the possibility of having a girl.  When I went for a 14 week u/s, there were no boy parts, but there was a tiny nub.  With my 3rd son, we could determine his gender at 12 weeks, as it was VERY obvious he was a boy.  This time, it was different.  You can see a picture of my baby's leg area under my post , "Guees My Gender," on this board.  Maybe you can compare by memory?  :smileyhappy:

My u/s tech would not confirm a girl with us, either...she only said, "if it is a boy, we should at least see floaty boy parts."  LoL

I agree that there should have been something there for you to see, buuuuuuttt I also feel that the doctor would have expresed more concern with you if something were truely wrong.  Like in everything else, babies develop in their own time.  :smileyhappy:  Please keep us posted!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 9:30am

Thanks Mary! The real possibility of a girl is exciting isn't it? I do see the nub in your picture. It seems small to me! We didn't see it straight on like in your picture. We saw the baby from the side and then the tech and the dr both looked from the bottom. We didn't even see a nub...or at least they didn't mention it and they kept moving it around so I didn't either. The baby was measuring 13 wks 5 days so a whole week ahead. I have big babies so I am not sure that really means s/he is that far in development but who knows. The tech said "You have three boys. You know what it looks like and there is nothing there".  I only found out the sex before birth with one of my boys and he was 17 weeks when we did so I really don't have personal experience but from what I see online there would have been something there. She wouldn't guess girl but that clearly is what she was thinking. The dr just brushed it off saying it was too early. I go back in three weeks for the second part of the screening and the dr said they should be able to see something then. I can't wait! Good luck with yours!

From this... http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html  it looks like there should always be something there for a boy!

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 9:32am

I just noticed our boys are the same age too! Mine are 7, almost 6, and 3...I need to update my picture. :smileyhappy:

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 3:17pm

I am very excited about maybe having a girl!  Dh is freaking out by going back to the gym to get "buffer" so he can protect her.  LoL  He's silly!  

We go tomorrow for another u/s, and we're hoping to get a good peek this time!

Please keep us posted when you have another u/s.  I'm excited for you!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 3:22pm

LoL  I feel like you are my twin now.  Weird!

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-23-2012 - 6:43pm

Lol! Good luck tomorrow! I hope you get a good look at the goods! I am thinking pink for you!

Amy

Mason, Dylan, Logan