Top American Baby Names

iVillage Member
Top American Baby Names
Fri, 08-09-2013 - 10:40am

While bizarro celebrity names(North West, anyone?) are the ones that make headlines, what are American baby names are the rest of uschoosing for our kids these days?

Most parents eschew out-there names for more traditional picks, with some gradual influence from pop culture events. In general, the same names appear on the annual Social Security Administration list year after year, with just a few newcomers cracking the top 10 each year. In 2012, the latest data we have available, biblical and Twilight-inspired Jacob (#1 for boys for 14 years now) reigned, while timeless Sophia claimed the top spot for girls.

Here, we explain the meanings of the top 10 baby names for each gender.

Top American Baby Names : Did Your Child's Name Make the List?- http://www.ivillage.com/american-baby-names/6-a-541690

Did any of the names you are considering make the list?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-09-2013 - 9:33pm

Ahhh! I cringe every time I see Sophia at the top of the list!! Over 5 years ago when my sweet DD was born, we could not agree on a name. DH wanted Emily and I refused saying it was too popular and being named the most popular name in America (jennifer) I wanted my DD to have something more unique. I always loved sophia, only knew one growing up and thought I was thinking outside the box.....NOPE. My DH never fails to remind me! I don't care though. I still love it!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-12-2013 - 10:22am

JenMiz7 wrote:
<p>Ahhh! I cringe every time I see Sophia at the top of the list!! Over 5 years ago when my sweet DD was born, we could not agree on a name. DH wanted Emily and I refused saying it was too popular and being named the most popular name in America (jennifer) I wanted my DD to have something more unique. I always loved sophia, only knew one growing up and thought I was thinking outside the box.....NOPE. My DH never fails to remind me! I don't care though. I still love it!</p>

I adore the name Sophia!  It's actually on our maybe list.  It's just so pretty.  :) 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-12-2013 - 10:24am

I guess I must like the popular names.  Sigh.  From this list I really like Liam, Mason, Ethan, Sophia, Emma, Olivia, and Ava.  Not sure if I care enough that they are super popular to cross them off our list for good.  Guess we'll see.  Double sigh. 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-13-2013 - 9:19am

The funny thing is the one my husband wants if we have a girl is in honor of his grandma, but is now on the top 10 list! 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-13-2013 - 11:12am

I agree, they are all nice names. I really like the trend right now, I think they will stand the test of time. Our boy name will be Leo, after DH's grandfather, but we have no idea for a girl. Maybe we'll revisit Emily. Or I like Reese too. It is too hard to decide!