Will You Name Godparents?

iVillage Member
Will You Name Godparents?
Fri, 10-25-2013 - 9:18am

At Wednesday’s royal christening, six people became the proud godparents of Prince George. 

But these days, more Americans may be eschewing the godparent tradition, opting only for a legal guardian in the event that something happens to both parents — over that “special aunt or uncle” who plays a symbolic role in a child’s upbringing. Traditionally, the role of a godparent has religious overtones. In many denominations of Christianity, a godmother or godfather is someone who sponsors a child’s official entrance into the church. For nonsectarian families, a godparent has historically been an individual chosen by parents to take an active interest in a child’s personal or character development.

http://www.today.com/moms/choosing-godparent-are-families-moving-away-tradition-8C11431618

Do you think you'll be naming Godparents for your child?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-01-2013 - 1:57pm
We do not do godparents. I can see the appeal, though. I thought it was quite interesting that Kate and Will didn't name any family members as godparents!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-01-2013 - 1:57pm
We do not do godparents. I can see the appeal, though. I thought it was quite interesting that Kate and Will didn't name any family members as godparents!