BTDT Ladies, What do you wish you had known...

iVillage Member
BTDT Ladies, What do you wish you had known...
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 8:56am

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 4:35pm

I wish I'd know that...

it's okay to wear maternity clothes, even when they're too big. At least it makes people know you are pregnant and not just getting fat. Shirts that say "bump" or "eating for two" are kind of tacky, but where them anyway. Whatever gets the point across.

first baby movements feel like gas. A nurse doing a check up actually pointed out my baby moving before I realized what it was. I thought I'd just had bad indigestion!

that tight feeling during the third trimester is a contraction. Maybe braxton-hicks, maybe the real thing. Early contractions don't always have pain.

salty food will make you gain 5 pounds in a week.

slip on shoes are easy. Tying shoes big and pregnant is not. Quit trying to look cute, everybody's just staring at your belly anyway.

wearing too much makeup won't hide the fact that your face is getting fat. You'll be tired and pale, or get red cheeks, or get acne, and you're makeup probably won't match anyway. A 5 minute makeup routine will save you time and save you from looking like a kid playing in their mother's makeup.

if you highlight your hair, get it done about a week before you're due. You'll look better in pictures and you won't have time for a few months afterward.

take pregnancy pictures! Even if you feel fat, you'll regret it if you don't. If you think you look too tired in the pictures, play with effect like turning the photos black and white or sephia tones. It really helps. If you want a picture of you looking down at your belly, close your eyes in the photo. If you actually look at your belly, you get weird slanted half-open eyes.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 5:43pm

I wish I had known how sleepy I would be...I literaly slept 18 hours a day for the first three-five weeks. My husband jokes that I only woke up to eat or pee!

I also wish I had known how quickly it all goes by and how much I would miss it once the baby was here. There's something about being the only one to feel those little movements and having the baby so close all the time...it was great once she was born but I did get a little wistful for the days when it was, sort of,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 6:31pm
I have to agree with the baby movements feeling like gas! I think I went a few weeks of thinking it was crazy gas before I figured out it was actually my little one kicking me!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2011 - 7:00am

Cute idea!

Photobucket 
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-10-2011 - 5:25pm
I wish I had known more about truly natural childbirth - 100% natural.

And I wish I had known there was such a thing as a birthing center with certified NURSE midwives rather than just certified professional midwives. I am so excited!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-11-2011 - 12:09pm

Constipation in the later months?! I dealt with it through my whole pregnancy! And this one is seeming to be the same...yuck.

I wish I would have known how thirsty I'd be in the labor/delivery room.

Photobucket