Daytime naps?

iVillage Member
Daytime naps?
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 5:53pm

Maxwell will be 3 mo tomorrow and is not really taking good daytime naps yet like I thought he would.  He is a good/consistent sleeper at night eating at 9pm, sleeping from 9:30-4:30, eating and going back to sleep from 5-8:30/9.  During the day though the longest I can get him to sleep at one time is 45 min if I'm lucky.  For the most part he will be awake for about 1.5 hr after eating and then take a 20-30 min nap before wanting to eat again.  Usually there will be one feeding in the morning and one in the evening that he will not nap between.  I have tried stretching the feedings to 3 hr, which works sometimes but doesn't seem to affect the naps.  I have also tried keeping the older kids quiet, having him sleep in the swing (the older ones would sleep through anything in the swing), swaddling, not swaddling and nothing seems to lengthen the nap time. 

I would like him to get a better daytime napping routine down before school starts but maybe I shouldn't worry about it?  Is it "normal" at this age to take short cat-naps during the day?  Do you have any suggestions make his daytime naps longer? 

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 9:59pm

I have the same situation!! Aurora fights sleep during the day but she sleeps great at night. The longest I can get her to nap without holding her is about 45 minutes also. If I hold her, she could sleep hours, but I'd get nothing done.

The longest I get her to nap is usually right after I nurse her when she's the most content. I'm also curious if there's something to do to get her to nap longer. But everyone I've asked around me has told me as long as she's happy she's doing fine.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2012 - 11:06pm
I'm in the same boat as you ladies! The longest I can get Emma to nap during the day is about 1/2hr without me holding her. And sometimes she is sound asleep and as soon as I put her down her eyes pop open! So needless to say I get nothing done! She sleeps pretty well at night only waking up once around 3 or 4 am then goes right back to sleep. Sounds like maybe this is a phase they are going through. I hope it passes-it's making me crazy!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 8:33am

At least I'm not the only one!  The tough thing with Maxwell is that by evening, like 7-8pm, he gets really fussy.  Some nights are worse than others but he just seems tired.  Maybe I am trying to read into it too much and he's just not a night person.  I guess I will try to let the naps fall into place and not worry about it.

Karen

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2012 - 9:23am

My oldest was like that...as soon as I would put her down she was awake.  It wasn't just during the day either, which made the nights a bit harder.  At that time I was working outside the home and as soon as she went to daycare she started staying asleep when I put her down.  I'm not sure what daycare did differently though so I don't really have any tips :smileywink:

Karen

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 9:02am

Connor isn't toooo bad, he will nap sometimes up to an hour in the morning and then again in the afternoon with a few 20 minutes in between.  Night time is awesome from 10:30 - 8:00, so I can't complain, but I know my first child was HORRIBLE.  He would only cat nap all day, like 20 minutes every three hours, and he screamed in between.  I was miserable and didn't get anything done.  I thank my lucky stars that he was my first because if I had a baby like that the fourth time around I would probably go insane :smileytongue:  I have no suggestions, because seven years later, my kid still doesn't sleep, lol! He goes to bed at about 8 and is up for the day at 6.  We tried moving bedtime to as late as 9 and he would still wake up at 6 and be a grumpy bear all day, so we went back to earlier bedtime for his sake and mine. 

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:29am

Thankfully Maxwell isn't grumpy all day long...just towards evening.  I actually talked to my old daycare lady and she said she usually puts the babies down around 9am for their first nap and only lets them sleep for 1.5 hr so they will also nap in the afternoon.  Obviously that wouldn't work on his schedule so this morning I had him up around 7 with the other kids.  He couldn't keep his eyes open by 8:30 so I changed him and fed him a little bit and now he has been sleeping for almost an hour!  I'll have to let everyone know how it goes for the rest of the day.

Karen