Help! Advice needed

iVillage Member
Help! Advice needed
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 5:03pm
So I know I haven't posted in a while. I've been busy! Anyway so Emma is ebf and has been very watery yellow stools with sometimes traces of blood in them. Now I know bf babies have yellow stools but not water runny like she has been having Kwim? So I took her to the dr and he said he thought it was one of two things. 1) she has an anal fisher (tear) in her bum causing the bleeding or 2) and what I think it is, an allergy to dairy or something I'm eating. So they told me to cut back on dairy and see what happens. But isn't it in their system for a while? I haven't seen any results yet and she seem exteremely fussy with this which makes me think it is some sort of stomach upset. They said about using formula and if I did that to use soy (which I havent yet) but am considering. I mean i love bfing but don't know that I can COMPETELY cut dairy out of my diet and I really don't have that much anyway but I still think it would be very difficult. But then the guilt sets in I bf my older dd until 8 months and would feel horrible if I didnt give both my girls equal. My DH thinks I'm crazy and says each baby is different and we have to do what's best for Emma. He also said lots of babies are formula fed and fine And he is not to keen on me cuttIng out dairy either. I Was thinking of making it to 3-4 months snd then weaning but I really do not know what to do. I'm feeling so overwhelmed. Any advice or suggestions?!? Help please!
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 7:07pm

That does sound like a dairy allergy to me!

When Aurora was really fussy, I tried to cut out the foods that were the culprit (I tend to stick to a pretty bland diet, every now and then branching out to see what she'll tolerate). I would pump for a day or two and give her formula until I thought the offending food might be out of my system.

Also, I've cut out milk and I drink either almond milk or rice milk and I get my calcium from other foods.

I hope any of that helps, good luck and I hope little Emma is feeling better soon!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:49am

Awww, poor little thing! I don't know a lot about allergies because none of my kids ever had any, but I have friends who have gone through it, and it is NOT fun ;(  They also had to systematically cut out potential allergens and ended up going to soy as well.  I don't have any advice, but wish you lots of luck and hope it gets better soon!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 9:56am
Hi there,

I wanted to share a link with you to the Breastfeeding Support: Ask the Lactation Consultant topic here on iVillage. If you are looking for more feedback and support/advice, the board is another great place to visit. The ladies there are very knowledgeable and I'm sure they'd love to hear from you! Wishing you the very best of luck- please keep us updated on how things are going!

Breastfeeding Support: Ask the Lactation Consultant- http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Breastfeeding-Support-Ask-the/ct-p/iv-ppbreastfeed

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 12:17pm
Sometime it can take awile to get it out of her and u.. ds2 had an allergy problem to tomatoes.. which are my ALL time fav! I believe Leah has a milk allergy as well and have stopped all dairy.. it took almost 3 weeks for her to line back out.. hang in there! The forum mentioned by a PP is extremly helpfull! Ask away over there and the get back with u very quickly!!!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 3:59pm
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice. I'm cutting out dairy for now and Emma finally seems a little better today. I'm going to try and bf for as long as I can without me eating dairy so we will see how it goes! Also thanks for the link to the breasfeeding board I did post there so maybe I'll get more advice. Thanks again all.
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-28-2012 - 4:26pm
There's two things I want to say to you.

1) Don't ever feel bad if you have to switch to formula and you can't BF Emma. As long as she's being fed and she's happy, it's all that matters. She's still going to flourish and be an amazing little girl and you'll still be an amazing mom.

2) I see that she's feeling better with cutting out diary. Gabriela (my second DD) has a ton of allergies and I've had to deal with this. She was FF from the very beginning so we switched to Neocate (she had severe reflux and allergies to dairy, corn, wheat, and nuts). However, I did a ton of research on Alimentum and Nutramigen which are great formulas if you DID need to switch.

However, cutting out dairy seems difficult but it really isn't. There are a lot of other options that you can test out. Almond milk, soy milk, etc. There's cheeses and butters that are non-dairy so you can have that. I EBF Dominic and he's allergic to dairy as well so I've cut out all dairy from my diet. I had already cut out milk and limited my dairy because I seem to be semi-allergic to some dairy. It's hard but you can definitely do it. If you have any questions or anything, let me know. I've become very knowledgeable about anything reflux, dairy, or allergen related.

Natasha
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2012 - 11:33am

I don't have any experience with allergies so don't really have any advice there.  But I have to say that you can't beat yourself up if you have to stop nursing earlier than you did with odd.  I agree with your DH, each baby is different and you can only do what is best for that child at that time.  Good luck with whatevery you decide!!

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:03am
Thank you for the support ladies. I really am considering going to formula. Cutting out dairy is way harder than it seems. It is in everything! Even the granola bar i wanted to eat this morning! I know some people can do it but I'm not sure if it's for me. Some people are making me feel SO guilty! I know breast is best and I need to make scrafices for my children but not the same thing works for everyone, Kwim? And ppl are telling me if she's allergic to milk chances are she's allergic to soy and she will get constipated on soy and then I will have to use this expensive formula. So then I feel more guilty and confused. I think I may make another appointment and speak to Emma's doctor and get some answers and see what she thinks. I'm just really at a loss right now.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 3:16pm

First of all, don't let anybody make you feel guilty. I don't think those who are making you feel so care for your baby more than you do. So be sure that you're doing your best and that we're only human and there is so much we can do and handle. 

Second, did you consider hyperlactation? my son had it, he was very fussy and had yellow and runny stool (very runny). I looked it up in the internet and it said hyperlactation do that. I was pumping a lot and breastfeeding a lot so I started producing too much milk that he was only getting the foremilk. I cut out on pumping and started training my body on reducing the milk production (there is tons of information on how to do it) and as soon as I did, he was on the breast for longer periods, he stool started getting more normal and he was much calmer. 

The blood spot though, I have no idea what it it is. I you should relax, everything will be fine soon. 

pregnancy due date