How's the Expecting Dad Holding Up?

iVillage Member
How's the Expecting Dad Holding Up?
Wed, 04-18-2012 - 11:27am

Robert Downey Jr. might be playing a superhero in the upcoming Marvel film The Avengers, but at home he's got an even more daunting role: new dad.

The 47-year-old actor and his wife, producer Susan Downey, welcomed new son Exton Elias into the world on Feb. 7. Just a few weeks later, RDJ sat down for an interview with Esquire to promote the May 4 release of The Avengers, but ended up mostly talking about his son.

"There was all this trepidation, all this projection, all this anticipation and goodwill and a good vibe about it," he tells the magazine of the time right before Exton was born. "But what you're squeezing to the side -- or what's in the glove box -- is these thousands of forms of fear. And then he was born and they've all just kind of scattered now. It seems like he's always been here."

How's your partner holding up as the big day inches closer?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 9:10am

DH has always been the cool head of any situation, which is a perfect balance because I am very emotionally driven :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 10:47am
its Soooo anoying when the can be rational when we can't be.. lol
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-19-2012 - 11:10pm

My husband is quite the opposite. He's the one who stresses out. Today I had contractions from 8:38 until 2:00 pm. 10 min apart, very regular, you can time your watch on them. I was very clam, I knew it was a false labor, I could feel it. And I kept tellling him it's just a false labor but you can read the worries in his face and voice (poor thing :)). I'm not worried at all actually, I'm very excited about the whole thing. It may be my personality, I'm very positive and always confident that things will be fine. When my daughter was 2 days old and they came to take her to the NICU that was the first time my confidence was shaken, that's when I realized that it's not always that thing turn out fine. Yet, again, I just can't feel anything but excitement. But I understand my husband's worry, and I think the more I show him that I'm not stressed out and I'm not worried, the more he calms down too.

pregnancy due date