I just need to vent

iVillage Member
I just need to vent
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 9:29pm

My daughter broke her arm today. Again. She's 10 and this is her fifth break. We've had several doctors look at her x-rays over the years, 3 different orthopedic offices, and they all say her bones look healthy. Bottom line is that she falls awkwardly and breaks easily, but there's nothing actually wrong with her causing the breaks. I hate that I can't go in the x-ray room with her since I'm pregnant. I always have before. I've researched x-rays and pregnancy, and I know the chance of injury to the baby is really low, but I can't bring myself to take that risk. But I feel so guilty. It's like I'm choosing the baby over my 10 year old. I hate sending her into that x-ray room alone! With her other breaks, there have been 3 total sets of x-rays over about 2 months. This break is her worst yet, so there may be even more. I don't want her to think that I'm picking the baby over her everytime I send her into the x-ray room without me! And, yes, she knows that's the reason I can't go in the room. She says she's okay with it, but I feel so guilty! She's so scared of doctors, but she tries to reassure me that she'll be fine. Then she starts crying and I want to cry too!

In a crazy twist, my son also has an injured finger. (He hurt it home with my husband, while I was at the doctor with my daughter for her arm!) He's 6 and was trying to do handstands and jammed his knuckle. It's all swollen and hurts. If it doesn't get better soon, I'll have to get his finger x-rayed, too. But, he refuses to leave my side. I know there is no way I can get him in an x-ray room without me.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 7:31am

i was pregent when my 2 year old broke his wrist . i was upset i couldn't go back with him. luckily a real nice nurse took him back and stayed with him until he was done. hopefully you can ask if a nurse can go back with him. I know the guilt you want to be there for them but you don't want to hurt the baby. hope things work out for you. I am from the jaunary 2010 play group.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 12:09pm

I don't think you're choosing one child over the other.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 1:07pm

Thanks. I know my husband or a nurse can do it. I just kind of wigged out last night. Thanks for letting me vent.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 3:08pm

I know how you feel. :-(

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 8:39pm
I've got no advice or way to relate, but I feel for you! That is such a cruddy decision to have to make. Hopefully everyone is back to 100% soon! :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 9:15pm

Here's my update... Maddie's in a cast up above her elbow. We found an orthopedist who could see her first thing this morning and got that straightened out. No x-rays until a check-up in 4 weeks, so I don't have to worry about being there or not. We meet with her pediatrician in the morning to talk about her history of injuries, since there have been so many. Maddie just keeps telling me "I hope the new baby isn't clumsy like me." Aww, so sad :( Aaron (my first grader)'s finger looked a little better today and I was sure it wasn't broken. But, the school called and said it looked broken, and I didn't want them calling children services on me, so I took him and got his x-rays done to please the school. It's not broken. Let's hope no more injuries. I can't take the stress of seeing my kids hurt, and I can't afford it! We just got health insurance, so we have to meet the deductibles before they will pay a percentage. this month should be about $1000. I have an ultrasound at the end of the month, so hopefully that doesn't get too expensive. We have things also scheduled for January, and since that will be a new year, we'll have to meet deductibles again. January will be another $1000 month. There goes my savings account, and maybe my sanity along with it.

Momma to:
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012