Amnio :(

iVillage Member
Amnio :(
Fri, 12-09-2011 - 9:26pm
Hi ladies, My down syndrome, trisomy 18 & 21 screening came back abnormal for downs. Numbers are not within normal range for my age group, so dr suggested an amnio. We have scheduled one for next wednesday and I am soooooo worried!!!! Too many what if's going through my mind...fears of the needle, of the recovery, potential mc, worst of all, positive for downs... Has anyone here ever had an amnio before? Please think good thoughts for me through these next few weeks as I recover and get results...

iVillage Member
In reply to: vericurious
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 2:38pm
Ive never had one.. a friend of mine did. Had the exact thing happen to her.. she was so upset.. the amnio reveled a health baby without downs.. if u google it.. the screenings are wrong the majority of the time.. i cant remenber the % that they r wrong but it was so high i decided to not even do it... so dont stress!
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-10-2011 - 8:06pm
So many people I know have had bad results from those tests and everything was fine. I declined to have the test done with both of my pregnancies for that very reason. Hope all goes well for you.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 1:59am

Ditto what the others said about the screening test.

`
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-13-2011 - 9:59am

I'm sorry to hear about this. I chose not to do any of their genetic or marker tests because I won't terminate and I don't want to deal with false positives. I do however absolutely know of women who tested positive and the amnio came back asbolutely fine. I am praying that everything works out - please keep us posted.

BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 10:50pm
Went in for it today-met with genetic counselor who was very reassuring of our odds of DS, odds of full recovery from the amnio. Then went in for the ultrasound-much clearer and displayed on flat screen! Large view of the baby. The tech said no indication of any markers. That was another relief, then she told us we were having a girl!

The perinatalogist came in to take a look and affirmed what the tech said. He had a great bedside manner ...bantered with us while he prepped and proceeded with the procedure. It hurt as much as most shots/needles/blood withdrawals. Lasted longer than I expected but no more than 2-3 minutes. He said fluid looks good and clear. As he wrapped up, he said it looks like it's likely a false positive screening, affirming what I thought/hoped for all along. But said preliminary lab resu,ts might be available as early as tomorrow!

Thank you for writing and providing encouragement...I'm just resting and making sure this little hole in the sac heals properly and I get more good news tomorrow.

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 1:32pm
Awesome! Congrats on ur lovely lady! Ive got a little girl on her way to! See why alot of us just wont do the screening... Again, CONGRATS on ur GOOD news!
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 3:23pm

Those tests have a high false positive rate.

pregnancy calendar
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-25-2012 - 10:29am
Hi I'm from the June board, not sure when you posted this but I wanted to comment. When I was pregnant with my daughter in 2010 my tests came back abnormal. I consented to the amnio knowing the risks. They first did the ultrasound which revealed no markers for downs however I knew that I would need a definite answer so I went ahead with the amnio. I had the amnio on a Friday and took Saturday off of work and I did nothing for the weekend so I could rest my body. Everything turned out ok no downs or other chromosomal abnormalities. I would never have thought to terminate but definitely felt I would need time to prepare. Also lots of false positives come from girl babies because there is more hormone!! I hope everything goes well for you, I will be thinking of you
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-01-2012 - 10:15pm
Thanks for writing, Rhonda! Interesting tidbit about girls, false positives and the extra hormones! I think I can safely say that part is behind us, but there are other hurdles to overcome !!