Bleeding at 5 weeks

iVillage Member
Bleeding at 5 weeks
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 6:55am

I had implantation spotting two weeks ago, which is what originally tipped me off that I may be expected. After four + pregnancy test and a + pregnancy test at the docotors, I know for sure that I am pregnant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 9:24am

Bleeding is really common. It doesn't mean miscarriage. Well, it could, but it doesn't have to. It's supposed to be really really common around the time of your expected period. At 5 weeks, your body is expecting to bleed by now, so it probably is nothing. I bled at 5 weeks with my first pregnancy. I didn't know I was pregnant yet, so I wore a tampon for that day, and it filled almost halfway. I had some mild cramping, too, but the baby was fine and healthy. If it continues, call your doctor, they might order blood tests to make sure your levels are going up instead of down. If you are worried and can manage it, rest for the day. Lay in bed, watch TV, read a magazine.

BTW... my pregnacy books I've been reading say to not have sex or exercise for a few days, until you're sure the bleeding stops, because that can trigger it.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 3:59pm

Thank you for your reply and I am glad to hear that it is normal. It did continue throughout the day, but not red like a period. When I wiped it was pink, but on the pad it was pinkish-brown. Again, kind of like the start of a period in consistency.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 4:52pm

Hello...well this past weekend after going to the bathroom and wiped y so a spot of blood, I wiped more and kept seeing dots of blood, but not a heavy amount.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-22-2011 - 8:52pm
Keep us updated! I hope your appt is reassuring. I bet everyone here is right, that everything is normal and okay. That has to be scary though!

I know how the teacher thing can be. I work in a small school and I teach all of the 7th and 8th grade math classes. One of my first thoughts was, if something happens, not only would I of course be worried to death about myself and the baby, but all of my students would also be getting no instruction. Every time I have a sub, they always just say they can't do the math and the kids never learn anything. So I had to come up with my own ideas of how to make it work and tell my principal when I told him that I was pregnant. Luckily though, he was still very happy for me. :)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 1:51am
About 2 weeks ago I went pee and wiped and there was light pink on the tissue. I freaked but thankfully never saw it again. Weird I thought. Never saw it before in my other pregnancies but I hope I never see it again!! Scary!!

April-1.jpg April - Scrapblog picture by lilmamaof32008

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 9:45am
I had some spotting last night after I did some heavy lifting:( I was worried, but hoping that it's just now implantation bleeding instead. Hopefully nothing more.
 BabyFruit Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 1:35pm

Dr. did an ultrasound and said my uterus lining looks nice and thick and it looks like my sac is just starting to form, but it couldn't see it on the ultrasound. He also took my blood HCG level and I should be getting the results by Monday. He said at this point in my pregnancy it should be between 1000-2000. I go back in another two weeks to check blood HCG levels again and hopefully another ultrasound so I can see something.

The bleeding is heavier today than yesterday and I guess I didn't have enough protection on, so I bleed through my clothes, but still not as heavy as a period. The doctor said bleeding up until the 8th week of pregnancy can be normal as long as my HCG levels keep rising. It stinks that I have to wait another two weeks to know anything. I figured if morning sickness or other pregnancy symptoms kick in then I will know for sure that I am still pregnant.

In the meantime I guess I just need to relax and take it easy and try not to stress over it while praying/hoping for a healthy-viable pregnancy.

Amanda

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 4:13pm

I've never had an ultrasound at 5 weeks. Is it normal not to see anything? I go in for a first appt. at 5 weeks and want to beg for an early ultrasound to help with getting a better due date (I went off BC in August, I know dates can be off by a week or two). If you can't see anything that early, maybe I'll wait and beg at the 2 month check up.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-23-2011 - 5:25pm

From what I understand you can't see much at 5 weeks. You're probably better off to wait until at least 6 or maybe 7 weeks if you want to see a heartbeat.

HTH!

Lee, Mommy to DD Noelle born January 2010. BFP in February 2011, lost pregnancy at 10 weeks in April 2011. BFP in August 2011, hopeful and happy to be expecting our baby due May 9, 2012.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-24-2011 - 8:29am

You should be able to see the sac at five weeks....

Well the bleeding continued and got heavier throughout the day with cramps and I passed a clot the size of my husbands thumb. After calling the Dr. back about the bleeding and passing the clot- he said my HCG levels were so low and based on my bleeding, I had a miscarriage. So, unforntunately I am leaving you ladies. Happy and Healthy nine months to everyone.

I have to wait 4-6 weeks for my period to return (hopefully this time in October) and we can get back to TTC afterward, so if all goes well with TTC again, we'll have a summer baby. Lesson learned, I am not telling anyone other than family (but not even them until our first sonogram). Everyone else will find out when I am passed the miscarriage stage.

Amanda

Pages