How early did you see your Ob-Gyn

iVillage Member
How early did you see your Ob-Gyn
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 10:18am

I called this morning and the lady in the office said that I can only see my doctor in four weeks as they only do the pregnancy test after 8 weeks of my last menstrual cycle! I can't remember with my previous ob-gyn but we didn't wait this long, as soon as the HPT came positive I called and took an appointment and was taken in, so I don't understand why I have to wait 4 more weeks to have her confirm my pregnancy! My morning sickness will confirm it by then :)

pregnancy due date

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 10:24am

I know that some doctors make you wait that long, but it seems like a long time to me!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 10:42am

Thank you for the reply. That's the problem, I really like her. Otherwise, I would have been looking for a new one by now :( I am still hoping I can find a way to get seen earlier if not, maybe I will go to the clinique on campus since I am a student to get the blood test done then go see my ob. The clinique in my previous university were the first ones to confirm my pregnancy and they give me the number of my previous ob and she took me immediately. I don't get it with this one! I will see what her assistant tells me, but I know one thing for sure, I am not waiting four more weeks.

pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 1:31pm

Go to the clinic like you are thinking! Or a pregnancy crisis center or planned parenthood or even a government health clinic.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 1:34pm

My office doesn't see you until 8-10 wks

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 8:09pm
My OB doesn't see you until 12 wks unless there are or have been complications in the past. I only confirmed with a general practitioner with my first pregnancy but didn't with the second or this one. I am also pretty laid back and haven't ever had spotting, even implantation.

If the OB won't take you I'd go to a regular physician if you're worried or impatient.

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 8:21pm
This is totally normal, unless you have had previous issues! My first OB didn't see me until 8 weeks with my first son, and didn't do an u/s until around 12 weeks. However, I ended up switching halfway through my pregnancy to my current OB. They still won't see me until 8 weeks, but will be doing an u/s on the same day as my first appt.
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-19-2011 - 8:27pm
Is there a reason why you need to get seen sooner? It's pretty common for doctors not to do first visits until 8-10 weeks. They often want to do an u/s at that first appt, and it's best to wait till then to make sure you're far along enough for the baby to actually show up on the u/s! I had an early u/s at 6 weeks with my second and nothing showed up but an empty sac. I was warned that it could very be a blighted ovum and I might miscarry, etc. It was devastating to be told that a miscarriage might be around the corner. I went in for another u/s 10 days later and there was a beautiful, thriving baby! Trust me, it's better not to go through that heartache if it can be avoided!

That said, if there's a medical reason for you to be seen sooner, like a history of loss and such, then definitely call back and insist on being seen! I have a history of loss, as well as irregular cycles due to breastfeeding, so my doctor likes to get me in sooner to check for a viable pregnancy and to date the pregnancy. Even with that, I tried to bump back my appt as long as I could, to make sure I would be far along enough to be able to see a heartbeat on the u/s!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 10:06am
I will be seeing my midwife at 8 weeks, 1 day... my last 2 pregnancies it wasn't til around 12 weeks.

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 10:17am

I see, thank you all for the responses. Cowgirlsetf, no there is no medical reason, I just want that blood test confirmation :) But it's ok, I guess I can get it done on campus then wait another 4 weeks (almost three now, yey!). Thanks for sharing, I would have gone crazy if they told me that, I can't put my self in your place but I can imagine what would happen if they tell me you may miscarry :( so I'm glad I asked. Thank you again.

pregnancy due date
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 2:18pm
I won't be able to see my dr until I'm 12 weeks (from LMP) because that is their policy. THe first thing they ask is LMP and then they have you come for blood work at 10 weeks and an appt with the nurse, then you go at 12 weeks to see the dr.
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages