Pregnancy and IBS (TMI, sorry!)

iVillage Member
Pregnancy and IBS (TMI, sorry!)
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 3:02pm

Since this pregnancy began, I have been either verybadly constipated, or gone the complete opposite direction. I have yet to have what I would consider a "normal" bowel movement! How do I get a grip on this? It seems like when I try to handle the constipation, I go the opposite direction and end up with horrible diarrhea. When I back off and let that even out, I end up constipated again! It's very, very frustrating! Any advice?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 4:07pm
I'm in that cycle. I'm not really doing anything I just keep going back and forth. It sucks. Sorry no advice.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 4:58pm
Eat bananas and apples when you're too loose and try two cups of hot liquid a day or increase your fiber intake when you're not moving. Pumpkin rocks for that, I keep ice cube trays of pumpkin puree and add a cube or two to baked goods or spaghetti sauce, it adds fiber without changing taste. I can pretty much stay regular by mixing the two...I have an apple at lunch every day and start and end my day with hot herbal tea....this week has been fine. With IBS there really isn't too much you can do other than avoid your triggers and take meds which really isn't applicable in our case!
Good luck!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 5:36pm
Ugh sry ur so miserable.. I got no advice just wanted to say hope things get better

Photobucket <a href="http://lil

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-23-2011 - 5:44pm

Oh man, I just keep getting constipated :( Been increasing my water and take stool softeners and they help alot and found some fiber gummies at Target. I shouldve checked for them sooner, I buy the children's ones for my daughter or she will get constipated, they keep her nice and regular. No advice for the diarrhea, that stinks though because when try and slow that down, probably end up risking constipation again, its like a no win situation

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-24-2011 - 2:42pm

I also have IBS and I"m having the same trouble.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 7:47am
I take fiber and probiotics. My favorite is the new target 4x probiotics (which is somewhat like align.) hth

Emily (31) & Eric (28) loving Rose and two pugs :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-15-2011 - 8:51pm

A friend of mine was pregnant last year and she developed a gluten allergy, which caused a lot of the IBS symptoms. She cut out glutens and her G/I problems fixed themselves over about a week.