Is your OB/midwife available to you?

iVillage Member
Is your OB/midwife available to you?
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 5:25pm

I'm curious what other people experience. I see a midwife who works with several doctors and follows their policies.I'm just wondering what other people experience.

When I have a concern, I call the office and get transfered to the answering machine to leave a message for a nurse. I leave a detailed message. The nurse calls me back and asks for more info (even though she heard it all on the message). Then, the nurse hangs up and tells my midwife or one of the doctors what is happening. Then, I have to wait for the nurse to call me back and tell me what my midwife or a doctor's answer is. If a concern comes up during a test with somebody else (like when the u/s tech couldn't find a baby last week) the technician

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 8:18pm

Oh yes I felt like this with the office I used with my dd, i had to do the same stuff, leave the detailed message for

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 8:50pm
I can call my midwife directly... well, to her voicemail and then when she has a chance between patients, she will call back.

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 9:14pm

I was concerned at first that it might be like that with my doc, but she's been fantastic.

Photobucket <
iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2011 - 9:58pm

I think I might want to shop around. I wish I could talk to somebody other than the nurse, especially since the nurse and doctor have differing opinions sometimes.

As for how I'm doing, I'm a nervous wreck. Everything is either perfectly fine, or a missed miscarriage (where the baby doesn't develop but the body doesn't expell the tissue for some reason). Cramping was severe from Monday-Thursday, today (Friday) it's very mild and dull. The u/s showed no cysts or causes for cramping. Bleeding is minimal, mostly when I wipe, but definitely red blood since Tuesday. Today, it started to form tiny clumps (a few millimeters only) and stringy (2-3 inch strands of bloody discharge), but only when I'm active. I can't lay around on the couch

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2011 - 9:38am
I feel terrible for you. You would think, that with all you are dealing with, you would get a little more compassion and response. Hope things improve on all fronts for you soon.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2011 - 6:00pm
I switched OB's at about 16 wks with my first pregnancy. I hated the office staff, including the nurses, and they were going to charge me for the delivery ahead of time as well, and only gave me about 2 months notice! I thought that was absolutely ridiculous, so I switched and was much happier!

I don't think it will mess up your insurance at all (it didn't for me), but I also don't pay anything out of pocket for any of my prenatal care, which is great.

I do have to go through a nurse if I call for any reasons, but my doctor called me personally with my last preg when a blood test showed low iron levels, which I appreciated.

You may not find something that's perfect for you in every way, but hopefully you can find something you're happier with. Good luck!
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-09-2011 - 10:39am
This is one of the biggest reasons I left the OB practice and started seeing a homebirth midwife. I was sick and tired of feeling like just another number for them to check off their list of patients seen for the day. I want to feel like the person giving me prenatal care and delivering my baby actually cares about us! My OB office was so busy, you had to leave a message and wait for someone to call you back just to make an appt! And a lot of the time they never even called back! Regular prenatal appts were scheduled months in advance, otherwise there was no guarantee you would be seen! It was ridiculous. Now, when I call my midwife with a question, I speak with her directly. No nurses screening calls first. It's wonderful! I will not be switching back, ever!
Photobucket