Breast or Bottle?

iVillage Member
Breast or Bottle?
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 4:49pm

Will you breastfeed your baby or bottlefeed?

Will you pump milk or formula feed?

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-28-2011 - 9:36am

Am I the only one who has formula fed by choice? I formula fed my first two. I don't know what we'll do this time around. I know breastfeeding is best. I plan to try it. But, I'm not sure I can handle it. I think I'd go crazy. Breastfeeding means that nobody else can ever feed the baby when I'm sick or tired. Nobody can feed the baby when I'm busy cooking a big family dinner, or doing a big couponing grocery trip, or just trying to sleep for a few hours. I know I sound selfish right now, but I was exhausted when my kids were babies! I can't imagine being any more tired. Formula feeding allowed me to keep my sanity. I ended up crying sometimes along with my babies in the middle of the night. I can't keep them happy if I'm not happy.

Do some breastfed babies refuse to be bottlefed? If I start out breastfeeding, will they refuse a bottle nipple? I've thought about pumping. That way, the baby would get the nutrition, but my husband could still take over a few feedings. What happens when the baby won't take a bottle because they'd rather have a boob?

What happens with

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-28-2011 - 11:49am

My son would take a bottle as long as I wasn't around, he would even take formula whe babysat because I didn't have a pump... my daughter was the same only she would refuse formula so I had to pump and save milk over a few days in order to have enough to leave her overnight.

My son bit me once, and my daughter maybe 3 times? It hurts when it happens but is really not a big deal.

Breastfed babies are to be fed on demand, you don't really need to know how much they are getting... if you want to know though, you get a baby scale and you weigh them before and after a feeding.
My son had colic and would always think the reason his tummy hurt was because he was hungry, so since I knew his feeding schedule from before the colic kicked in, I stuck to that (every 3 hours for 10 minutes) to avoid making his tummy hurt more.w

Pregnancy and breastfeeding killed my libido... it doesn't happen to everyone, but it can happen... things go back to normal when baby weans... but I've been pregnant and or nursing since the end of January 2007 lol... my poor DH! But I don't care at all... my babies come before me and before my husband.

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 4:52pm
BankersWife wrote:

Am I the only one who has formula fed by choice? I formula fed my first two. I don't know what we'll do this time around. I know breastfeeding is best. I plan to try it. But, I'm not sure I can handle it. I think I'd go crazy. Breastfeeding means that nobody else can ever feed the baby when I'm sick or tired. Nobody can feed the baby when I'm busy cooking a big family dinner, or doing a big couponing grocery trip, or just trying to sleep for a few hours. I know I sound selfish right now, but I was exhausted when my kids were babies! I can't imagine being any more tired. Formula feeding allowed me to keep my sanity. I ended up crying sometimes along with my babies in the middle of the night. I can't keep them happy if I'm not happy.

Do some breastfed babies refuse to be bottlefed? If I start out breastfeeding, will they refuse a bottle nipple? I've thought about pumping. That way, the baby would get the nutrition, but my husband could still take over a few feedings. What happens when the baby won't take a bottle because they'd rather have a boob?

What happens with

Lanie pregnancy
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 9:23pm

Thanks for answering questions ladies. I definitely have to think about it for the next several months.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 3:22pm

Definitely bottle I'm afraid.

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-17-2011 - 9:02pm
I tried to BF my daughter, I really did. We had suction issues and I effectively starved her for the first 5 days of her life. It was terrible. We went to the LC on day 5 and she downed a bottle of Enfamil like a dying man! After that I kept trying and pumping and supplementing but it was a real strain on my sanity. I eventually got to where I could pump enough for half of her feedings and the rest I supplemented. I kept that up for 6 months then after a raging case of Mastitis I stopped.
With this one, I'll try breastfeeding again but I won't go to quite the extremes I went to with the first. I don't think my husband would allow it! :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-19-2011 - 2:30am
I'll be bottle-feeding by choice. I did it with Adriana and Gabriela and I intend to with this baby. It makes it easier that others can help me out when needed. To be honest, I had no desire to BF with Adriana or Gabriela. It sounds odd but it just wasn't something I wanted to do. I'm all for everyone doing what's best for them. I'm in awe of people who BF for so long.

Natasha
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-26-2011 - 4:16pm

I will breast feed with this one. Heck its free! lol, i plan to do it as long as the baby wants to.

I BF DS1 for about 8 months then switched to whole milk and table foods, then DS2 i BF for about

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-05-2011 - 6:18pm
boobs all the way - i nursed #1 for 3 years, and #2 for 1. The first was a crazy baby and never once could I get him to take a bottle or a pacifier. I used to have to go visit him at daycare to feed him because he literally would not drink anything for 8 hours. They would sometimes try and spoon feed him milk and around 9 months he'd drink a little from a real cup but he was anti-bottle.
#2 was super easy, would drink from anything! but I pumped/nursed for just over a year. he was also the easiest baby in the world to wean. come to think of it... he was the worlds easiest baby to potty train, too! we did it in 2 days when he was 2, just decided to go for it and he was like, ok sure!
Caryn
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 12:22pm
I nursed both my kids till the 'bites" started..they both were right at 9 monthes.. Neither boy would stop sinking his teeth in.. Ouch! So I stopped and began pumping..I plan on breastfeeding again with this baby.. I also believe this is strictly the moms choice, i feel fomula is safe..and my thoughts on the subject is there is no wrong choice.. Enjoy ur new babies ladies!!