Cloth or Sposies?

iVillage Member
Cloth or Sposies?
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 5:10pm

Will you cloth diaper your baby or use disposables?

photo VBsiggy_zps6a15f198.jpg

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 5:11pm
I started cloth diapering when my DS was about 8 months old and I LOVED IT!
I've got a pretty beautiful stash lol... I've actually even bought a few for the new baby already!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 7:11pm
I'm going to do a combo. I am going to use G diapers. That way he/she can have disposables at school and cloth at home.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 11:45am

With my oldest DD i used Cloth diapers and i loved them, with my second DD i used disposables and they work ok. this time around i am thinking about doing a combo, Cloth at home and disposables when we are out and about.

<baby

baby growth

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-16-2011 - 11:09am

I have done a little Cloth with both boys, but I did more with DS #2, this one we will probably do a combo of both.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-20-2011 - 5:41pm

We are all cloth in this house!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 5:08pm
Asheo wrote:
I started cloth diapering when my DS was about 8 months old and I LOVED IT!
I've got a pretty beautiful stash lol... I've actually even bought a few for the new baby already!

I would love to cloth diaper, but can't afford to pay for all of those cloth diapers at once.

Lanie pregnancy
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 3:10pm

We'll do disposable. I'm not sure how cloth actually saves money. I know cloth is better for the environment, but unfortunately money and convenience are my biggest priorities. Cloth diapers are expensive up front, disposables let me spread the cost out over time. Plus, you have to shake out cloth diapers in the toilet, and launder them all in the washing machine. In our city, the sewage bill is calculated as three times the water bill. So, our utility bills will go up a bit with cloth diapers. I know it's not a ton, but it still adds up. I can do disposable diapers for less than $30 a month. I don't think I can do that with cloth.

Here's my math... maybe I'm completely wrong. Please correct me if I am. Cloth diapers are about $20 a piece, plus the inserts. I'll need about 20 cloth diapers. (I came up with 20 because that would allow me to not do laundry every single day. I can't get laundry done every single day. I know lots of newborns are going through 7-8 diapers a day for the first few weeks. And I'm sure a few will get lost over time, in the trunk of the car, left at grandma's, etc., so we need a few backups) 20 diapers X $20 = $400 in cloth diapers. Plus, I've heard the inserts are pretty cheap, so probably about $20 for them. Now our total is up to $420. Then, my utility bill will be slightly higher, maybe $5 a month, which would be $60 a year. That brings our total up to $480. I can do disposable diapers at $30 a month, which is $360 a year.

Am I wrong on this? How do cloth diapers save money? I'm all about saving money, if it's cheaper I would probably switch.

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 4:10pm

I have the same issue. I want to use cloth so bad but no way will I have enough money up front. I think I'm going to try to save a little bit here and there and see what I can get come May!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 1:47pm
I don't know where you got your info from lol... diapers usually always come with their inserts, and you can get some for $10 a piece! If you buy 2 a month through your pregnancy, that's $20 a month for 9 months, you'd have 18 out of that 20 you calculated... as for the washing, an extra wash or 2 a week doesn't change a whole lot... and you can use them the entire time your child is in diapers and then for the next child.
That's with pocket diapers... you can do it even cheaper with prefolds.
You could also check out diaperswappers.com and get some really good deals on used diapers.
and you would never lose a diaper or forget them anywhere... cloth diapers are an addiction, you wouldn't leave one behind lol.
You are suppose to shake the poop out of sposies as well when used correctly, it says so on the package.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 2:44pm

I have done a little research. I've looked into the big brands that friends use (fuzzibunns and green mountain to name a few.) It seems like pre-folds are only about $2 a piece, that part is cheap. I know they come in different sizes and fabrics, and I've heard most people go through several dozen, but it's still affordable. It's the wrap that goes over them that is expensive. I've seen most people go through about 2 dozen wraps, and the moms I've talked to say that you need to spend about $20 a wrap to get a decent one. I kind of figured my 20 cloth was a conservative estimate, because I haven't yet met a mom that stopped at 20! It seems like everyone busy a few sized ones, a few one size fits all, a few that take inserts, a few of various brands just for fun because they like the color patterns. Plus liners when the kid starts solid foods, plus hemp for the heavy wetters, plus wool covers for extra wet babies at night. Whether I buy them now or during the baby's life, it still adds up. I just don't think I can do that. If i were just starting out my child-bearing years, I would do it and reuse them for siblings. But this is my last baby so I just can't see how it works out financially. I think I'll just be sticking with Pampers. I hate what it does to the environment, but I'm a laid off teacher. Until I find a job, finances trump the environment. Hopefully I'll realize I'm wrong and find a way to make cloth work, but for now I just don't see it. (I won't do used diapers, sorry, I can't bring myself to put somebody elses used diaper on my baby.)

Momma to:
Madelyn, February 26, 2001
Aaron, January 2, 2005
Baby #3, October 2, 2012

Pages