Vaccinations- Should Docs "Fire" Families That Refuse?

iVillage Member
Vaccinations- Should Docs "Fire" Families That Refuse?
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:23am

Can you imagine being dumped by your pediatrician? More and more doctors are "firing" patients -- refusing to treat children whose parents refuse or delay vaccinations.

There's a medical reason: An unvaccinated 4-year-old with whooping cough in a doctor's waiting room could infect a young infant who hasn't yet been vaccinated. Some doctors say they don't want to put their other patients at unnecessary risk. While numerous studies have shown no increased risk of autism from vaccines, many parents remain concerned.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/doctors-refuse-families-who-skip-vaccination/6-a-439841#ixzz1qty1Affy 

What do you think? Should doctors have the right to "fire" patients when their parents refuse to vaccinate?  Is anyone here delaying or avoiding vaccinations?  If so, have you had any issues with your pediatrician regarding your decision?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member

I think they should be allowed to fire a patient for any reason.  It should go both ways...if we want to say no to a doctor by getting a second opinion or just switching because we don't like them, they should be able to do the same.  In the end it would probably be better for both parties because the doctor will most likely be pushing them to do something they don't want to do.

Karen

"A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."  

iVillage Member

I kind of agree, because some diseases that are vaccinated against can be VERY deadly to an infant or pregnant mom and I would be devastated if I lost a baby or miscarried because someone refused to get vaccinated for certain things.  our maternity ward where I delivered doesn't allow children on the floor anymore because someone came onto the ward with chicken pox and put the infants and pregnant mothers at risk.  Thankfully nothing happened, but it was still very scary.

Photobucket