BTDT: Breastfeeding

iVillage Member
BTDT: Breastfeeding
Mon, 11-26-2012 - 6:50pm

I've heard horror stories about breastfeeding.  I didn't breastfeed my DD at all.  I don't even remember having milk.  I told myself this time around I was going to try it out, but now I'm a little freaked out.  Between hearing about babies feeding every 2 hours, feeding for over 30 minutes at a time, and your nipples being sore, cracked, and bleeding, I'm beginning to think I may take the formula route again. Plus, another concern of mine is having time to pump when I get back to work (I'm a teacher so I won't be able to leave my students for an extended period of time).

BTDT moms, please share your stories on breastfeeding experiences.  Thanks!

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 8:13am

Hi Mom2be,

I think it is awesome that you are thinking about breastfeeding now.  Knowledge is power and you have a lot of time to decide on the best option for you and baby!

I wanted to share a link with you to the Breastfeeding Support: Ask the Lactation Consultant topic here on iVillage.  The ladies there are great and I'm sure they'd love to share their experience and advice with you. I hope it helps!

Breastfeeding Support: Ask the Lactation Consultant- http://www.ivillage.com/forums/forum/17867

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 3:15pm

We are expecting #4 in May.  All my childrent came 3-4 weeks early.  I've been told that my short stature is the reason my kids came early (there was just no more room)  All 3 have been healthy & good.  That being said, I have never produced a lot of milk on my own, but my last one was more than the first 2.  It's very important that it's done right... If it's not, that is when you have soreness, and problems with your nipples.  If you make the decision to Breast feed and you have to supplement (for the health of the baby) it's ok.  You are still a great mom for wanting what's best for your new baby.  Doctor's will tell you that even some breast milk is better than none.  Get advise from mom's who've been there.  I was very lucky when I had my first to have a mommy friend that was very informative (and very hands on with the help).  Even your lactation consultant with your hospital (if you are going that route) are alway able to help as well.  Don't be freaked out or worry.... With much love... Sabrina

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-27-2012 - 8:29pm

So let me preface with- I am SOOOO passionate about this topic. Please forgive me as tone and such are obviously hard to translate. Any of my comments suggestions or generalizations are not and will not be directed at you. :-) Hope you understnad I just want to educate and share my knowledge but I am super passionate so that can get in there too....okay here it goes!

My DD was born early. And had a brief NICU stay. I pumped starting at day one. I didnt look at it as an inconvience. This was and is and will always be NOT something that is optional (to me obviously). This is how it has to be and will be for me. When I looked at it with this perspective I found it MUCH easier to keep at it day after day. Again this is MY perspective. But it helped. I stayed dedicated to it. I looked at it as my job as a mother to do it.

Now that said here is the advice part- Since I had to pump since day one and I am a teacher (and a teacher with stirct guidlines as to when I could leave the kids- I teach preschool so ratios are a huge part of it). I made sure that my day was condusive to pumping here is the schedule I used.

6:00am- Breast Feed
6:50am- Pump (double)
12:00 (lunch)- Pump
2:30 (off)- Pump
3:00- Feed DD at pick up @ daycare
And then at night we would cluster feed with several close together feedings one right after another. at 10pm I would pump and in the begining I would wake up to feed at midnight and then go and double pump (I dropped this around 6 months when solids entered the picture) (***another thing to point out is I took 12 weeks maternity leave so this schedule started at 3mos to 6months and then solids entered the picture which alliviated a lot of the pumping.)

ALSO my biggest advie that worked for me that I will be more dedicated to this time- Pumping from day one gave me a nice freezer stash about a month ahead at all times. But breast milk can be kept 3mos in a reg freezer and 6months in a deap freeeze. I have a deep freeze this time. So in the begining I was pumping and freezing the extra milk. Then each day I would pump and freeze that milk. I would rotate the milk I give her in the day (one bottle of fresh for her mid-day (bigger) feeding and the feeding before and after would be bottles from the freezer stash from the older milk.

Here is how I freeze my milk.

I pumped into the pump bottles. At night before bed I would portion into baggies of 2- 1oz, 3to4 2oz, and the rest 3oz baggies (Laniosh makes a good bag with a nice seal and room to date it). I would pre date the bags for that date and right the oz amount on the outside. Then I had a small square tupperware container in my freezer. I would lay the baggies flat stacked on top of each other The next day when it was time to freeze more I would take the flat baggies out and place them into a large gallon zip lock bag labled with the start date (if say I just started a new gallon today it would say 11/27.) when it gets full I add on the end date. The newest milk goes to the back of the freezer so you use your oldest milk first.

It is possible to do it. If your dedicated! :-) I am not gonna say its easy or a cake walk. Its hard dang work! Its exausting because the first month or so the babies do eat every 1 1/2hrs to 2hrs FROM THE START of the previous feeding. So if baby eats at 1pm and doesnt finish until 1:30 or 1:45. He may want to eat as early at 2pm or 2:30pm for the next feeding. This is temporary. Their stomachs are TINY and they need frequent feedings. Breast milk is digested differently and they dont need as much at one time. (Likewise- a formula fed baby may drink 4oz- a breast fed baby may only eat 2 or 3 at the most. Which is why my milk is frozen in lower quantities.)

Kellymom is a great web site with lots of info and I lived off of that site when I was breast feeding my first.

Also if it hurts. see a lactation consultant. Turns out my boobs are huge and werent able to go into my daughters mouth at the right angle. They told me to roll those tiny swaddle blankets and shove it under my boob during feedings and the it would lift it to the right angle and VIOLA it worked! :-)

Good Luck and Please let me know if you have any other questions I am an open book when it comes to this topic. :-)