Do You and Your Partner Agree on Names?

iVillage Member
Do You and Your Partner Agree on Names?
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 10:57am
You’ve already made a million decisions about baby in completely blissfull agreement. But then you started talking names and he started having wacko opinions! You love unique, cool picks like Gunner, Phoenix or Rex; he won’t budge on more traditional names like Jacob, Sam or Joshua. So between you, you can't make a decision and the clock is ticking. We've got you covered! Here are 12 smart (albeit a bit sneaky) strategies for handling the baby-name negotiation that will (virtually) guarantee your pick will prevail!

Are you and your partner having a hard time agreeing on names? I remember it being quite difficult with my youngest son but my DH and I finally agreed.  I picked the first name, he picked the middle name.  It was a compromise that worked for us!  How's it going with your name search?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 4:20am

My dh and I together have picked out 4 names. 2 girls and 2 boys names. Now all we need to know is what the sex of the babies is.

Siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 10:36am

GenMichaelAshlinandBaby wrote:
<p>We haven't really started to think about names just yet. We decided last time it'd be easier to wait until we found out what we're having then start on the name search. :) </p><p>As far as who picks out the name? Well I seem to come up with all the name ideas and he only wanted to veto names he didn't like. So in the end it was all me and the name I liked the most is what ended up being our daughter's name. I am kinda the dominant one in our relationship anyways. :P </p>

Waiting until you find out if baby is a boy or a girl is a good idea.  That way you only have to come up with one name!  Good luck finding one you love, that he doesn't veto. :)

photo snowsiggy.png

Avatar for GenMichaelAshlinandBaby
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-05-2012 - 1:34pm

We haven't really started to think about names just yet. We decided last time it'd be easier to wait until we found out what we're having then start on the name search. :) 

As far as who picks out the name? Well I seem to come up with all the name ideas and he only wanted to veto names he didn't like. So in the end it was all me and the name I liked the most is what ended up being our daughter's name. I am kinda the dominant one in our relationship anyways. :P