A little heart broken

iVillage Member
A little heart broken
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 10:55am

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning and my son will have to come with me, he's on Fall break from school and my husband has to work. So, Saturday we decided to go ahead and tell our son that we're going to be having a baby. Oh man, I'm slightly heart broken now. He was so upset and emotional, full on crying, saying he doesn't like me holding babies, he's scared we'll change everything...and all that stuff kids worry about. My goodness, it made my heart melt away. Poor little guy. Then I decided to talk to him more about it yesterday, told him about how big the baby is right now, where it is, things he can teach the baby when it's here, I told him he can buy it a toy or jammies, whatever he wants to get, he said he'll get it a blanket. I asked if he'll help us change stinky poopy diapers, he said "EW NO! That's you guys' job!, BUT we're still not having one." Soo yeah, at one point he said he was excited, then he said we're not having one...so hopefully he'll be ok. The library was closed this weekend and today, so we can't get any books on the subject until sometime this week. He knows that my belly will get huge, and that the baby will be moving around in there, I guess he thinks it will knock me over when I walk, because he kept asking if I can walk, and if I'll fall lol. So we had some laughs, and some sad times explaining this to him, hopefully once we get books and I start getting bigger, and once he buys the baby something, maybe he'll be a little more okay with things. And he'll get to see the ultrasound too. How did your child(ren) react when you told them you were expecting?

*AUBREY* --- Mommy to Kadin, born on December 3rd 2007 & Korbin, born May 20th 2013!

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 11:18am
I think you handled the situation perfectly! How old is he? I'm assuming at least 5 since he's in school. That's pretty typical "first time" behavior from an older child. They've spent all these years with only mommy & daddy & all your attention has been on him. So yeah, he'll be a little skeptical at first...but he'll warm up to the idea :-) At his age, he'll be such a big helper, too! My ds was 3 when ds2 was born & we got him a big brother gift from baby:-) KUP about everything!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-24-2012 - 12:14pm

I think your son will handle things well when the baby comes.. I think it's hard for them to imagine a baby at this stage because until they can see a big belly that's moving, it's hard to believe it's real. My kids have had a wide variety of reactions over the years.. Right now I can imagine my oldest two just rolling their eyes and going "not another one" but I wouldn't get too worried, I'm sure he'll be excited as things move along...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-25-2012 - 2:58pm
He'll be 5 on December 3rd! He went to my appointment today and got to see the baby on the screen. (what little we could see, anyway) I am 6 weeks and 3 days, it's measuring right at 6 weeks so we weren't able to see the heartbeat yet...not sure why they even did an ultrasound this early anyway...so I go back October 9th and am definitely hoping there is a heartbeat then, or we'll be worried!!

*AUBREY* --- Mommy to Kadin, born on December 3rd 2007 & Korbin, born May 20th 2013!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-28-2012 - 8:19pm

They did mine vaginally. I'm trying not to work myself up, and just pray that we will DEFINITELY see the heartbeat when I go back on the 9th...we if don't see it then I'll be very worried and upset because I'll be nearly 9 weeks :/

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-29-2012 - 2:15am

Please try not to worry--about seeing the heartbeat or about your son.  He will come around.  This is really the perfect age for him to be a big brother.  He has all his school stuff to be excited about, so he won't be "sharing" mommy, and he'll be a helper for you.  I promise.

Photobucket