Who Will Be in the Delivery Room?

iVillage Member
Who Will Be in the Delivery Room?
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 8:28am

Who will be in the room with you when you give birth? Will it be just you and your DH/SO? Will you have friends and/or family members join you? Also, who do you think should have the final say on who gets to be in the room with you? Since it is your labor and delivery, should that be left up to you?

Who Gets to Be in the Delivery Room? How Many is Too Many? Who Decides?- http://www.ivillage.com/who-gets-be-delivery-room-how-many-too-many-who-decides/6-a-334787?ice=iv:mb...

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2012 - 4:05pm

Just me and the hubby. I'm not putting on a show.  My husband leaves it up to me...family is welcome to visit once the baby has arrived and I'm feeling up to visits.

With #1 we told all the family that this was the plan and we would keep in touch via phone. My husbands dad and step mom apparently did not understand the directions - so they showed up when I was 6 hours into labor. They were knocking on my hospital room door while I was being examined. My eyes bugged out of my head and I just looked at my husband who exited the room and told them that this was not a good time and we would call them.  They left, I never saw them, until the next day when my 24 hour labor ended with an emergency c-section.  With #2 no one even tried...I suspect with #3 that they all know the routine so it won't be an issue.

diane08
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-13-2012 - 8:52pm

Just me and hubby too.. Kids will be with grandma.. It's been me(obviously) and hubby for all my births.. unless you count nursing students who walked in when I was in labor with dd #1.. they walked in when I was 8cm with no epideral and asked if they could observe.. Seriously, if one of them could catch the baby I would have been happy with anyone at that point :p  I definitely think it's up to the mom on who is in the room.. I would not even like my family in there, let alone my hubby's looking at the baby coming out ::shudder::

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 12-15-2012 - 5:20pm

With our first son it was my husband and mom in the room, with this baby it will be the same...except if we can't find anyone to watch our son, I guess he'll be in the room too! Not too sure what we'll do with him just yet! My sister lives an hour, maybe a little more, away...if she can make it, then I guess it would be her in the waiting room with our son and her two boys. If our son does have to be in the room with us, I don't think he'll be spooked or anything like that, not much anyway. He actually ends up watching baby shows with me, so he kind of knows what to expect.

*AUBREY* --- Mommy to Kadin, born on December 3rd 2007 & Korbin, born May 20th 2013!