Nuchal Translucency Test

iVillage Member
Nuchal Translucency Test
Thu, 09-12-2013 - 11:36am

Nuchal Translucency Test

Around 11-13 weeks of the pregnancy a screening for Down’s syndrome is usually offered to all pregnant women. The test is known as the “first trimester screen” or nuchal translucency test.

This test consists of two parts:

• An ultrasound to measure the thickness of the back of the fetus’ neck and
  • A blood test that detects the presence of 2 markers in a blood sample in conjunction wit blood tests that measure levels of pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and a hormone known as human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG).

These three tests are then combined to calculate the risks of having a fetus with a chromosomal anomaly.  Abnormal levels of PAPP-A and HCG or an abnormally thick neck may indicate a problem with the baby. If the test shows an increased risk, additional tests such as CVS (chorionic villi sampling) or amniocentesis can be done to confirm a diagnosis.

The current nuchal screening test has a false positive rate (that is, the results suggest a problem when the fetus is in fact healthy) of around 3-4%.

This means many women have invasive testing, using chorionic villus sampling (CVS) or amniocentesis. Both of these procedures carry a less than 1 in 2-500 risk of causing a miscarriage.

Read more here- https://www.rosiepope.com/blog/prenatal-test/

Are you planning to have the NT test done??  

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-16-2013 - 8:41am

I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting this done.  Knowledge is power and the more I can know about my little one, the better.  :) 

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-23-2013 - 2:46pm

My sis-in-law refused to have any screening done with her last pregnancy saying that she didn't care either way if her child had downe syndrome or not and she didn't need to know beforehand.  I, on the other hand, had these tests done with my last two and will be doing it again with this pregnancy.  As the previous poster said, knowledge is power and I just want to be prepared.  Also, from my experience, the technology of the ultrasound provided for this test is far more advanced than that of an ultrasound in your doctor's office.  They were very thorough, showing me (and explaining) everything.  They were also able to tell me the gender of my babies at 13 weeks (I had to wait until about 18 weeks with my first pregnancy), which is a big bonus.

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-25-2013 - 8:48am
I'm getting this test done on Tuesday Oct 29. I'm excited that ill see my baby again and that I might find out what my baby is :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-01-2013 - 9:39am
Had this test done on Tuesday. They said theyre 51% sure its a boy