Baby Registry

iVillage Member
Baby Registry
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 11:42pm

I've been working on creating our registry and tonight I buckled down and added quite a few things. I think I've gone cross-eyed looking at all the baby gear! I chose to register on Amazon because it is a universal registry and will be helpful to keep track (if only for our sakes) what we still need to get. And I think it will be convenient for most of my shower attendees.

If you're registering/have registered, what store(s) did you choose? BTDT and FTMs alike, what were your must have items?

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
In reply to: jujub85
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 2:58pm

I choose to register on Amazon since it was so easy for everyone for my wedding registry. My must have items are a Pack'n play with the infant napper, boba wrap, boppy pillow and a waterproof covers plus another cute cover,gracco snugride 30 carseat, Lansinoh mOmma bottle set to try out, 2 waterproof crib mattress pads, receiving blankets,contorted changing pad to put on top of my dresser for night changes, a few necessary clothes that I still need like socks, baby sunglasses since I live in a high UV area, rectal thermometer, breathable crib bumper, and a wee gallery mobile that you can swap out the pictures in. I also put none necessities like some cute toys, books, and a car seat mirror to give people an idea of what I like.

I have another list going on what I need to buy that Amazon does not offer like things from etsy and cloth diapers. Their universal wish lists are great! 

I am not expecting most of these things to be given to me, but put them on the registry since they all qualified for the 10% discount you get the month before your due date. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 2:27pm
Register for the stuff you REALLY need. If you want to try three different kinds of bottles, this is the way to go. If you need blankets, this is how you get them.

If I were registering and had nothing, I'd really want to make sure that what I was registering for fit my needs and my lifestyle. It would probably look like this:

Jogging stroller (runner - I would pretty much cry if someone took my BOB away. Seriously)
Aden and Anais Muslin Swaddlers - because they are fabulous and can be used for about three thousand years. My four year old still carries one around.
Lots of crib sheets - I hated changing the bed, only to have the baby spit up or something five hours later and having to wash sheets.
Baby monitor - I have to step outside sometimes during the day and a good monitor makes that easier. We have horses and dogs and such.
A breast pump - because I could seriously nurse a nursery. I love having a freezer full of milk when I wean so I can keep giving the good stuff!! Also - storage bags for breast milk!
Baby Signing Time DVDs - just trust me. THESE ROCK.
An Exersaucer - this was great when my kids were big enough to need to learn some personal space (IE - I don't want to wear them in a sling and they are old enough to sit alone, but young enough to still need to be near me) while I did something like cook or clean.
What ever kind of diapers and wipes you choose to use!

That's really all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of suggestions coming your way. It's easy to get overwhelmed with your first. Keep in mind that they don't need everything all at once. I went without a high chair for a long, long time. I probably didn't pull out my beloved stroller for three months and opted to wear the baby instead. It's a process and you'll love some, like some and hate some!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:39am
Great tips! I'm trying to internalize all the different tidbits coming my way so maybe I'll have some semblance of aptitude when it's go time. Haha

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:40am
We have registered for A LOT of the same stuff. That must be a good thing, right?