Baby Showers For Baby # 3+

iVillage Member
Baby Showers For Baby # 3+
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 3:51pm

Okay, so the question about baby showers in the Monday Check-in thread got me thinking...

What do you guys personally think about baby showers for women who already have a boatload of kids (me)? My sister-in-law insists on throwing me a baby shower, even if it's just a "sprinkle" or a diaper shower, etc... I feel SO off about the whole thing! I don't want to make her feel bad, but after as many kids as I've had (this is baby #5), I just feel like it's over the top. And I'm really kinda embarrassed to have her ask people to come.

And what's odd is that I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were a friend having baby #5... 

It's not like we have ANYTHING for a little boy at all. Our last boy was born 12 1/2 years ago, and he was followed by 3 girls. I gave up hope of having another boy ever, so all of his stuff is long gone. BUT I know what I need... exactly what I need and what I don't, and we have the money to buy it all, so I feel like a shower would just be an excuse to get together and eat cake :smileyhappy: Not a bad excuse, I guess :smileyvery-happy:

So what do you guys think? Tacky or okay? 

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 4:01pm
I'd say go with it. I'd totally come to a shower or sprinkle for any of my friends babies! We just moved to this area a year ago and don't really have any close friends yet. Luckily, like you we have what we need or we can buy it. I love a good excuse to celebrate, though!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 4:21pm
We're on #5 as well, and I feel the same way. But I agree that if it was a friend having a shower for their fifth baby, I would celebrate the same as someone having their first and not think twice about it! DH's family did insist on throwing me a shower with #4, and I was grateful and had a great time. But if someone wanted to throw us a shower this time around, I would have the same reservations as you.

With that being said, I say go for it! Every baby should be celebrated anyway, so if your family wants to throw you a shower to celebrate, then show up, eat some cake, and enjoy yourself!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 5:05pm

I would not feel weird attending a shower for someone who was on their 5th baby. Honestly, it is just an excuse to get together with friends, but if you feel weird about it you could always have the shower after the baby is born as a kind of welcome to the family party. 

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2012 - 8:31pm
I agree with all the above comments.

A thought on what Leona said - if you are uncomfortable with the gifts side of it say so on the invite! Some people will still bring a gift but you will have done your best to convey that it is primarily a cake eating party instead of the more traditional first child type party.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 6:36am
I understand if you feel bad..but let her throw you a shower! Nowadays you can get away with it and i dont think anuone thinks a thing. No one has offered to throw me one and I'm bummed about it. It is my 2nd but its my husbands first and I don't have anything left from my first daughter except a couple outfits.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 2:57pm

I see nothing wrong with a shower for any child, but I also am the same where I don't feel like I need one. I doubt I will have one but also know that close friends and family will give gifts anyway. I just went to a shower a couple of months ago for a friend on #4. Like others, I feel all children should be celebrated! If you don't need much or want specific things you could register for them. Also, diaper showers are nice. I wouldn't feel guilty at all if I were you!!

Margret

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 5:09pm

Yeah, I agree... every single baby should be celebrated. I liked the suggestion of having the shower after the baby is born. That's what we did with baby #3, and I loved having her actually there. It really felt like more of a party for her, rather than for me. Plus gifts seem to be more trinket-y type stuff, and less of a pressure to go all out on a gift, kwim?

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40