Can't stop crying!

iVillage Member
Can't stop crying!
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 5:58pm

Just found out yesterday that I'm pregnant, it's not my 1st. I have 3 children already, older children 11, 13 and 16-1/. I'm 33-1/2 years old.

My husband and I have been together for 18 years and didn't plan on anymore children, so we were shocked! With my first 3 pregnancies I was so excited, couldn't wait! Now I'm sad, and crying and depressed. I have health issues this time around, so thats always coming up in thoughts, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2004. I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which has been pretty bad the past few months.

I'm so fearful that the medicine, I've taken or am taking is going to cause harm to my baby. Is there anyone here that takes Citalopram, Albuterol, Benadryl and Prilosec? I researched them and they are all in class C, which terrfies me greatly, I just can't imagine not being able to use them or the withdrawal side effects Citalopram will give. Meet with an OBGYN tomorrow. Hopefully she'll have some information for me too.

From my last period, I should be due around Nov 18th.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 6:34pm
I'm afraid I"m no help about the medicines. I'm sorry about your health issues, hopefully your doctor will have some good advice and info for you.

To tell you about myself, I, too, have been married for 18 yrs, have 5 kids and 3 older step kids. We were not planning on any more. I have even returned to school. Last fall I found out I was pregnant, a total surprise. I was quite upset. It took me a week or two to let it sink in. Soon I was excited about it. But, I did miscarry at 9 weeks and I was so attached by then that we decided to try for another. I am shocked it happened on the first try- I'm 39.

Good luck to you! H&H 9 months!
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 7:37pm

On the medicines--I wouldn't worry about class C medications, especially ones that you clearly need. If there was evidence that they caused defects in babies, they would be category D. With DD, I was on a category D when I got pregnant (Klonopin) and a class C (Paxil). Paxil was changed to a category D after I had my daughter. I did get off both initially, but had to get back on them because I was floundering. Even category D doesn't mean your child will have a defect, it means they are at a higher risk of certain defects. Try to remember that your health and well-being is critical to the health and well-being of the baby. Talk with your doctor. I think s/he will put your mind at ease. At that point, maybe some of your depression and sadness over the pregnancy will ease up. I'm sorry that this isn't a joyful occasion at the moment, but I'm sure that you will come to be happy about it. Is there a professional that you might talk to? Hang in there!!

-Rachel

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2012 - 8:59pm

I could be totally wrong but if I remember right *have been through the chronic health mill more then a few times so I'm a little bit of a reading nut*

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-14-2012 - 12:08am

Thanks ladies, My new Obgyn doc got me in for an appointment tomorrow to discuss the meds.

Had my first baby at age 16, just went back to school in the fall, assuming that now my 3 children are all in school and older that I would start carrer life. Guess that's not happening lol.