Cloth diapering questions

iVillage Member
Cloth diapering questions
Mon, 07-23-2012 - 5:51pm

My cloth diaper stash has just started and I am not sure what I will like yet. Here is what I have so far:

1 tiedye (blue and purple) pocket diaper (forget what brand) size small

1 monkey print wahmies pocket diaper- OS (I liked the pattern)

5 Softbums AI2- OS -- I like how small these get

10 wahmies cloth wipes

24 bamboo doublers

24 orange organic GMD prefolds

1 softbums bamboo insert-- came as a set with one of the diapers

I am wondering what everyone else is using in the way of accessories.

1) Do you use cloth wipes? If so, what kinds, how many, and what type of solution?

2) What laundry soap do you use? What type of water do you have?

3) Snappis, pins, or Boingo?

4) What sizes and types of what bags?

5) What type of diaper bag do you use?

6) What type of diaper cream do you use?

7) Do you use a diaper sprayer, normal sink sprayer, just the toilet, etc?

8) How do you store everything?

9) Do you use leg warmers?

10) Do you use fleece or wool shorts or pants?

11) Fav cloth diaper tip?

12) What do you use in the pool and how soon can a newborn start going in?

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 12:13pm
elwing_6284 wrote:
Lurking from October, but figured I would throw in my 2cents as well. :smileyhappy:

1) Do you use cloth wipes? If so, what kinds, how many, and what type of solution? I use baby washcloths (because we have tons of them!) and water. I have no idea how many we have of them; at least 30. DH just grabs regular wash cloths since they're bigger.

2) What laundry soap do you use? What type of water do you have? I have crazy soft water, so I use the RnG soft rock formula. Even with it, I have to do 3-4 extra rinse cycles to get soap out. This issue is more related to our water though; towels are worse than diapers!

3) Snappis, pins, or Boingo? I used a snappi a time or two, but found it just as easy to tri-fold a flat and lay it in a cover.

4) What sizes and types of what bags? I have a FuzziBunz hanging bag for daycare/trips. It'll easily hold 2-3 days worth. 2 Kissaluvs pail liners that fit in a 13 gallon trash can. 1 Planet Wise medium for the diaper bag. 1 wool bag that will hold 2-3 diapers. 1 small Planet Wise that I used to carry the pump parts in my pump bag.

5) What type of diaper bag do you use? A cheapie from K-mart. If we're just going to be out for a bit, I just throw a cloth and a diaper in the wetbag and stick it in my purse. My bag will hold 6-8 diapers though with changes of clothes, so for all day trips, that's easier. I tend to leave it in the car and not lug it everywhere.

6) What type of diaper cream do you use? Grovia magic stick at daycare. CJs Butter at home. With the Butter, you have to really watch how much you use if you don't use a liner. No cream isn't an option for us; DS has acidic teething poo (and he's been teething for the last 13 months with no end in sight).

7) Do you use a diaper sprayer, normal sink sprayer, just the toilet, etc? I dunked and swished for a year, and then got my sprayer hooked up. LOVE it. It's great not just for diapers, but for rinsing the toilet after cleaning, rinsing out the little potty, or spraying out the shower.

8) How do you store everything? In clothes baskets. I stuff/fold as I go. I pack the daycare diapers each morning, and on the weekends, we typically use flats and covers, so that's easy to fix spur of the moment.

9) Do you use leg warmers? Nah. DS has always prefered to be naked, so he's usually pants-less and I just cranked the heat up in the house.

10) Do you use fleece or wool shorts or pants? I have one wool cover I won, but it's too big still. Love my fleece covers. They're so nice and breathable.

11) Fav cloth diaper tip? Don't be afraid to decide you don't like something and sell it. I'm apparently a diaper hoarder, so it's a little out of hand.

12) What do you use in the pool and how soon can a newborn start going in? I use a delaminated pocket, or a cover I bought because the waterproofing wasn't perfect. As for when to take a newborn, Peter's first time in the pool was at 18 months. Public water kind of grosses me out.

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 2:23pm
*sheepish wave from a fellow diaper hoarder*

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 6:13pm

1) Do you use cloth wipes? If so, what kinds, how many, and what type of solution?  

Yes.  I bought them all super cheap from WAHM's off of Ebay.  How many . . . I'm actually not sure.  I think I probably bought 2 different packs of 12-20 each.  During the newborn period I wished I had more though.  

No solution, which I really would recommend.  You can put them in a wipes warmer with plain water or you can wet them with plain water before you use them.  I had a child allergic to every thing on earth and a lot of people advised me that little babies often have reactions to solutions--I mean, think about it, why would you want to leave soap on your baby's butt?  Cloth wipes clean very effectively so just wiping with water is really enough.  

2) What laundry soap do you use? What type of water do you have?

We have hard water and use Rockin Green Normal.  A lot of people recommended this to me and we love it.  

3) Snappis, pins, or Boingo?

Snappis

4) What sizes and types of what bags?

We got two large wet bags--we used to keep one upstairs and one downstairs when he was little--now we just use one at a time but it's still nice to have two so one can be getting washed while we use the other one.

These: http://www.amazon.com/Thirsties-Deluxe-Diaper-Duffle-White/dp/B003KYSSNE/ref=pd_sbs_ba_11

5) What type of diaper bag do you use?

I have a regular diaper bag--not sure of the brand or whatever.  But we also have one wet/dry diaper bag like this:  

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Wet-Dry-Diaper/dp/B005WWI0DA/ref=pd_cp_ba_3

6) What type of diaper cream do you use?

http://www.amazon.com/Grandma-Els-Diaper-Prevention-3-75-Ounce/dp/B0042RPDWM/ref=sr_1_3?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1343339325&sr=1-3&keywords=cloth+diaper+cream

We used that one, but honestly I would try to use it as infrequently as possible.  Kids in cloth do NOT get compulsive diaper rashes usually unless there are food allergies.  Some parents of kids in sposies put diaper cream on for every diaper change--this would ruin your cloth dipes and SHOULD be totally un-necessary in cloth.  Even the creams "safe" for cloth dipes are not great for them.  I would only use cream if your kid actually needs it, which he/she shouldn't 19 times out of 20. 

7) Do you use a diaper sprayer, normal sink sprayer, just the toilet, etc?

When you are exclusively BFing you do not need to spray off poop.  Pee, poop, diapers, pooped on clothes, everything can go right into the washing machine.  

My son had serious constipation issues as soon as we started solids so after he started eating it was easy to dump the poop right into the toilet.  We also have a diaper sprayer on the toilet but I honestly rarely used it.  I know a lot of other people use theirs a lot more depending on their kids poop situation.

8) How do you store everything?  

In the beginning newborn period we transformed our upstairs linen closet (in the bathroom) into a diaper changing area.  One shelf for changing and a shelf above that for wipes and dipes.  One thing to keep in mind is that pretty much half of your dipes/wipes will be dirty and/or being washed at all times.  So you don't need to look at all the dipes you have and try to figure out how to store it all.  Just figure out how to store half of it and once the baby is born that will be good enouugh.

When he got older we put our linen closet back to normal because we didn't need an upstairs area anymore.  Now his changing area is on top of this old sideboard we have in the living room.  When we babyproofed after crawling started we used this sideboard for all our DVDs in a few drawers and put the diaper stuff in the other drawers.  

9) Do you use leg warmers?

Yes but that is more because we also do EC.  So when we were/are letting him be diaper-free, esp during the winter, we would use leg warmers instead of pants.

10) Do you use fleece or wool shorts or pants?  

We had a variety of diaper covers.  I nevergot a wool one but I had several fleece ones and liked those a lot.

11) Fav cloth diaper tip?

Have a special plan and/or diaper stash for the first month.  When my son was born very few dipes fit him and NONE of the prefolds we'd gotten.  Then I realized why the prefolds came in "newborn" "regular" and "large" sizes.  

12) What do you use in the pool and how soon can a newborn start going in?

I would let our son "swim" by filling up our regular bathtub and letting his body float freely while I held his head (I was in the bath with him).  He LOVED this from his first time when he was less than a month old.  In terms of a chlorinated pool  . . . . I honestly don't know if he's been in chlorinated pools more than a handful of times in his life.  We are more lake and ocean swimmers and I brought him in his first summer when he was 6 months old.  He always loved this as well.   

I would think you would want to be careful about exposing them to chlorine, esp under 6 months old.  But it makes a huge difference if it is your OWN pool because you can make sure that there isn't too much chlorine.  Some public pools just reek of bleach and I would be turned off from dipping my kid in that.  

We use re-usuable swim diapers and just bring a lot so we can change them and rinse them if he pees/poos.  We have both of the following brands. 

http://www.amazon.com/FINIS-Boys-Diapers-Octopus-Large/dp/B001QDRKH6/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1343340176&sr=1-2&keywords=swim+diapers+reusable

http://www.amazon.com/Imse-Vimse-Swim-Diaper-Turquoise/dp/B004Q2N4QK/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1343340176&sr=1-9&keywords=swim+diapers+reusable

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Re: Cloth diapering questions
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 6:27pm
Tabigale wrote:
Nothing, I never found it got in the way of the diaper. Fyi, hospitals typically supply diapers while you are there. My first I went c/w supplies to start right away but opted to use the hospitals supplies bc I didn't have to worry about carting home dirties and finding a place to store them while there (hospitals don't like dirties lying about even if they are in a sealed waterproof bag)

yeah another consideration is that meconium poop is STICKY and stains BAD.  We had a home birth but still used sposies for the first week while we waited for the poop to finish transitioning from BLACK DISGUSTING meconium to the really not un-pleasent yellow newborn poops.  

Photobucket