Did your parents... part 2

iVillage Member
Did your parents... part 2
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 3:06pm

Did your parents do hand me down cloths or was everything always new? Or did they do a combination of both?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 4:09pm
Most of my clothing was new - but the reason was simple. I was the youngest child by many, many years and there were no other children close in age to me. And if they were remotely close, they were boys!
I can't really do HMD for DS any more. He's taller and thinner than relatives were at his age. I did what I was able until he outgrew his cousins a few years ago. I do some for DD when I can, but again, my kids have a different body shape than many of the near-in-age cousins, and they are tall. I will buy second hand when I am able. It was easier when they were small babies, but after the first year, I couldn't just accept anything anymore.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 8:16pm
No hand me downs for me but it is because I was the oldest in my family and I was also the first girl on my dads side and the first grandchild in 5 years on my mom's side so there wasn't anything to be given. I believe that my clothes were handed down to my sister and cousins but I can't say for sure.

I have exhausted my hand me down supply for my oldest and strangely enough for my youngest - they just grew differently. My oldest stayed in size 2 forever and then jumped to size 4 but it was only one season before she jumped to a 6 whereas my youngest is going through sizes in a reasonable manner (currently in size 4) but there aren't allot of hand me downs to choose from.

The worst part about this area, and I do not understand it at all, is that the second hand and consignment stores (or at least the ones with clothes that will last any amount of time) are just as expensive as buying new! It is so upsetting and it means that I watch my email for sales and load up on essentials during those events.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 9:09pm
My mom was a single mom when she had me, so I"m sure I wore a lot of hand me downs from my cousins. My mom also sewed a lot of my clothes, along with her sister and my grandma. I got some things new, I"m sure.

My first only wore new clothes, but then the rest have worn hand me downs from my other kids or clothes from neighbors. I had given away most of my baby boy clothes and now I've been given a couple totes from a family member full of boy clothes from newborn through 4 years, so I'm pretty set.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 11:29pm

I am an only child and still got hand-me downs from my mom's friends. I did get some new clothes since I grew in a predictable mannor (I always wore my age until 16 when I still could fit into kids size 14) and my mom was able to buy clothes for the next year at the end of the season sales.

My lo will have some new clothes but mainly what we have are hand me downs from both our childhoods and consignment stores. Clothes are so expensive and don't fit for that long that there is no real reason for everything to be new. 

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 11:40pm
I got a lot of hand me downs from my cousin who is a couple of years older. And lots of thrift store items. My mom was a single parent and money was always tight. New clothes mainly came from my grandparents.

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12