Early Maternity Leave?

iVillage Member
Early Maternity Leave?
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 1:28am
Hey girls! Hope everyone is doing well! I am trying to research some information about possibly taking an early maternity leave. I've mentioned a couple times before that my work environment isn't the best. I'm a bank teller at one of the busiest branches in my city and I've already contacted HR and they won't let me transfer to another slower branch. On top of being at one of the busiest branches, my supervisors have tried to make my life a living hell since before getting pregnant. I get fussed at daily for small things, they give me a hard time about asking off for Dr. Appts, they have not been sympathetic and understanding about me being pregnant and helped ease up the work load (I had to get a note from the doctor that said I periodically needed to sit because they require us to stand while waiting on customers and they kept getting onto me for sitting because I was aching or dizzy) they told me I couldn't have off for my house closing (which is Tuesday, just because..) and I've spent quite a few mornings in the bathroom crying because of how mean or spiteful some of my co-workers have been. Basically, my job sucks. Had anyone that works in a job that is physically straining while pregnant taken an early maternity leave? I really need to take off and still get my short term disability and be allowed to use my remaining vacation and sick time. I don't qualify for FMLA because I've only been there since December but I am allowed a personal leave as long as I have the hours which I'll have to check on. I will not be returning so I'm not worried about having to go back earlier. What do I need to do or what is possible to do this? I'm guessing the doctor has to sign something that says I can't work, right? Is that possible? thanks or reading my huge rant and TIA for helping!
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 7:54am
I'm so sorry that things are so stressful and unfriendly at work. That must be terrible to go to work every day with people like that around you. I would want to leave too.

I don't have any input on early maternity leave. I'm sorry. I do think that if you're planning on using short term disability that you have to return for at least some time or you have to pay it all back. I'm not sure if that's across the board or just in some cases, but I've heard of cases like that in the past. I'm not positive though. You should look into it though so there are no unpleasant surprises.

Good luck and I hope someone else has some better answers for you regarding your questions.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-26-2012 - 8:19am
They have told me I didn't have to return to receive ST disability. It seems weird. Maybe it's because I have worked a certain amount of hours. I'll look it up online too then to make sure.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-28-2012 - 6:29am
Thanks ladies! Looks like you are right. I'll talk with the soc next appt around and see what she says. :smileyhappy: