First major purchase!

iVillage Member
First major purchase!
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 10:46am

I was in bad need of some more clothes and Lily needs some too.  So, I went to this consignment store that also sales some furniture new.  DH surprised me by showing up to carry stuff for me.  After I'd gotten a couple of things for me and then DH pulled me away from the little girl clothes, lol, we decided to take a gander at the furniture again.  We saw a crib. We both liked it.  So...we got it.  DH put it together last night.  Now we have a crib in our bedroom. :-) We had to do some rearranging, which we had already planned, but we've got room.  I also want to cram a rocker in our bedroom too.  That will be waaay later.  No sense having to navigate around a chair yet. Lily has just a few clothes now and a crib!  Yay!  I feel soooo much better.  We still don't have... well anything else, but just starting makes me feel like at least we're not toooo far behind.  Next up, travel system!  And bedding.  and diapers. and ...and...and.. lol  I could get so overwhelmed if I thought about it.  :-)

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:33am
Yea for a new crib! That's a great start!
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 1:44pm
Yay!! I know it's overwhelming to think about all of the things that you need, but each thing you buy puts you one step closer to being prepared for baby! I just keep telling myself that if our baby was born today, I'd really only *have* to have a car seat and diapers, plus a few clothes and blankets. Thinking about it that way makes it feel a little less overwhelming. Although I do know that realistically, there are so many more things that I want to buy before she gets here!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 1:54pm

That's what DH reminds me.  He said crib, carseat and some clothes and diapers...the rest is fluff. 

We aren't getting a changing table.  We just don't have room right now and realistically, we can do it without it.  But yesterday, I looked at him and was just like, but I'm afraid she'll be missing out on something.  lol  He just gave me "the look."  lol  I said I know I know, but still.  I guess the other stuff is fluff...but I want AAAAAAALL the fluff.  lol  Good thing I'm thrifty and cautious about spending money.  ha!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:00pm

Yeah, having to buy everything is very overwhelming, but if it makes you feel better, I am on #4 and never owned a changing table :smileyhappy: With my 3rd, the pack n play had the little one. Everyone is different on what they want or find useful so that is hard to do. Good luck and glad you were able to get your crib!!

Margret

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:10pm

We do want to get a pack and play.  With family living a ways away, when we're visiting we figured she could sleep in there.  Maybe we could keep it setup in one place of the house for a changing option. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 2:50pm
I had changing table with my oldest, but I didn't use it enough to justify it. With the newbie and my DD, we used/will use the bassinette attachment in the pack n'play in our room. It is so cool to look at all of the baby stuff, but you really don't need much of it!
Glad you got your crib! I'm sure that makes it so very real!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 3:00pm

Yeah.  It's definitely another one for those, this is for real, moments.  Once we got it together I walked over and bent over like I was picking up a baby.  I was like...I'm going to be picking up a baby from this.  And since DH has BTDT, he talked me out of some of the little outfits I liked.  He was all look at the arms.  "That's going to be way too hard to get in and out of."  Then later he was telling me about it.  He said they have these tiny little fingers, thisbig, and you have to get them from the top to the bottom and you can't see them or have any idea what's going on in the sleeve that feels like it's now a mile long and the baby is moving and squirming.  It was just cute the way he was describing it.  We call him Mr. Safety...but he's usually right.  Just don't tell him!  ha1

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 3:24pm
That's sweet about your DH!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 10:49pm
Very exciting! I can imagine having a crib in the room makes everything that much more real!

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2012 - 11:52pm
I had a changing table with my first, thought it was one of those things that you really need. Well, I think I used it maybe 10 times, if that. It was more convenient just to have a basket of diaper changing supplies stashed in several places throughout the house so I could lay down a blanket and change her on the floor, bed, etc, than to pick her up and haul her all the way back to her room. Since then, we haven't owned one for any of our other kids. I'm sure they are useful to some people, but I definitely don't think your LO will be missing out by not having one :-) And yay for your DH being the voice of experience and reason when it comes to picking out clothes, that's so awesome!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

Pages