"Fun" Purchases

iVillage Member
"Fun" Purchases
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 9:48am

I've kept it pretty simple this time around.  I didn't need much of anything.  I had a little girl almost 5 years ago and I saved everything that I really used and enjoyed (which was most of her stuff).  I haven't needed to do any major shopping, really. 

I have purchased the things we needed, like newborn and smaller sized cloth diapers, an infant car seat, some baby wipes/lotion/wash etc.  Even that was fun!  However, I hadn't done anything really "fun" (you know, basically uneccessary!) in terms of shopping.  I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a piece of gadgetry or anything, so I really started thinking about what I wish I had found before.  I wound up investing in some Aden and Anais bamboo swaddling blankets that are just so beautiful and so soft!  I got a box of three and I'm delighted with them.  I also got some of the "burpy bibs" for the diaper bag and when DH is holding baby in his nice dress clothes (he wears a suit and tie every single day).  I'm so excited about them! 

Have you done anything fun?

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 12:22pm
Because I received soooo many boy hand me downs from my neighbor, I was able to splurge on cute layette from Janie and Jack, so I'd have at least a few items new for him that are super adorable and sweet. I still got them on sale (spring/summer sale), but I'll be able to use them here in Florida all year. That's the great thing about living in a place with very subtle seasons (wardrobe is pretty simple).

Other than that, I got a new jelly baby changing mat, nice wooden teether toys, and a cute new piano kick mat for him. I didn't get a new play yard for him (got rid of our old one already) and wonder if I'll regret that decision, but I already have a bouncer and a rocking sleeper chair. I got rid of DD's play swing at a garage sale a few months before I got pregnant. This kid will have so many toys though! My daughter loved all the traditionally boy marketed toys, so he can share with big sis.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 4:03pm
jenfromflorida wrote:

How is this for a fun purchase?! Got it last night! Yay!! 

I think you took fun purchase to another level - enjoy!

I also have not bought much this time around - a new carseat, a used infant insert for my ergo, and a bag of used clothes. My remaining to buy list is a dressser (trying to find a used one), a playpen (hoping mom will give me hers), and considering repurchasing the mobile that I own so I will have a remote (fisher price ocean wonders). I keep resisting the urge to buy clothes, I think it helps that little boy stuff isn't as cute as girl stuff. 

I wanted to post this link if anyone is interested - this is my favourite baby shower gift, both babies I gave it to loved it (my youngest did not but there was no way to know she wasn't that kind of kid). http://www.bynature.ca/natural-bonding-bunny.html  They are pretty, soft, cuddly, safe, organic, and have wool filling so you can sleep with it for a few nights before giving it to baby and then they have your scent with them. I have the orange one and may need to get a new one if my youngest decides that she doesn't want to give it up now that she is developing a love of dolls.

Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 5:33pm
That looks like PLENTY of fun, Jen!! It is pretty!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 6:17pm

Oh!!! That lime green bonding bunny has our name written ALL OVER IT!!! It has to be the cutest thing ever! We were wondering what kind of stuff to buy him for Christmas & this would be it!

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 6:49pm

That defiantly looks like a fun purchase! YAY for new cars!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 6:56pm

Our "fun" purchases have actually been the cloth diapers. They have so many cute prints it is hard to not buy them all! http://www.swaddlebees.com/Products/Diaper-Covers/capri_cloth_diaper_covers the baby blooms is by far my favorite print in this cover. 

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-12-2012 - 8:23pm

I've tried to keep most of our purchases so far on the practical side, but I did register for some fun stuff, including a few different kinds of Adan + Anais blankets (swaddling & "security" blankets, burpy cloths). If no one gifts those, I think I'll splurge on them myself. I hear so many great things about them!

I'm also contemplating a splurge on my diaper bag. Instead of a traditional bag, I was thinking of getting a Longchamp Le Pliage tote. They are pricey, but I would be able to use it for years to come.

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 7:38am
mommy2moz wrote:

Oh!!! That lime green bonding bunny has our name written ALL OVER IT!!! It has to be the cutest thing ever! We were wondering what kind of stuff to buy him for Christmas & this would be it!

The waldorf dolls on that site are also amazing - I gave one to my oldest on her first birthday because she was ridiculously attached to me (I couldn't handle the hours anymore) and she quickly switched to it and started sleeping on her own beautifully and it made the transition to daycare so easy. She still totes that doll around and can't sleep without it, 4 years of love has been hard on that doll but it is holding out quite well!

Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:12am
That's a cute bunny!
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-13-2012 - 9:14am
Jen- That is a fun purchase! :smileyhappy:

Pages