How do you feel about push presents?

iVillage Member
How do you feel about push presents?
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 1:55pm

If you haven’t heard by now, celebrity stylist Rachel Zoe’s exceptionally generous husband Rodger Berman surprised his fashionable wife with a super-blingy push present for delivering their baby boy, Skyler: a nearly 10-carat cushion cut diamond ring designed by jeweler Neil Lane. Zoe is reportedly “thrilled” with the gift (is there any other reaction to a $250,000 ring?), tweeted a picture of it and has been wearing it non-stop.

Check out a picture here- http://www.ivillage.com/see-rachel-zoes-push-present-did-you-get-anything/6-a-349155

How do you feel about push presents? Obviously most of us won't be getting a ring that costs $250,000, but would you like to receive something upon the birth of your child? BTDT ladies, did you receive a push present when you gave birth to your other children?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 3:58pm
I have never received a push present. It's not that I wouldn't like it - but I don't know how practical it is. "Here you had a baby, have a piece of jewelry to commemorate the thing that will be your focus for the rest of your life." I don't think I'd ask in this economy, either!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 5:07pm

i think the best push present is the baby! Maybe a steak dinner too? haha idk I cannot imagine getting a present like that. Having a baby is a crazy overwhelming life changer. I don't need a ring to remember that day. The baby is the prize.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-25-2012 - 7:52pm
I like that present Jen! Steak (med rare) and eggs (over easy) for my first non pregnant breakfast and some sleep would be the best gift dh could possibly give me.

My bff was given a set of diamond earrings on the birth of her first (nothing for her second that I am aware of) and I remember thinking it was strange but sweet and I had a little twinge of jealousy. Something like that was far beyond the budget of a full time student (taking student loans) and a me on Maternity leave.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 12:15am

With my son I had to give up gluten in order to get pregnant so all I wanted after the birth was a bagel.  And it WAS DELICIOUS.  But then I realized I basically have Celiac's or at least gluten sensitivity so now I'm resigned to being gluten-free and never eating bagels again, LOL.

With this baby I think the best present I could ask for is just a nice long paternity leave (and my husband will take a month--we both feel like this time is very special and should be treated as such)--and for plenty of support in terms of cleaning and cooking after the baby is born--which I know my husband will do.

I am not a jewerly person so to me something as "silly" as a big ring is sort of immaterial in comparison to having help and support in the time surrounding the birth.  

I guess it depends on the couple and how they operate, though.  If they are not married and the push present is an engagement ring, that might be nice but more because of the commitment to the new family that it would represent.  Maybe if the women had a c-section for a previous pregnancy but wants to try for a VBAC and is motivated by the idea of nice jewerly or some other present I could see the point/power of being able to hold onto something like that during a difficult L+D?   But yeah idk, it's not really for us, I guess!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-26-2012 - 10:20am

It's not something we do.  I could see a small token that could maybe be saved and passed on to my child when they got married or had a child...something like that.  Otherwise, I'm not going to have the energy or attention to spend on a gift at that point.