How were you diapered as a child?

iVillage Member
How were you diapered as a child?
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 4:18pm

I am thinking of starting a weekly or bi weekly question of the week about our own childhoods, just to see if how we were raised has had any impact on how we are raising/ will raise our children.

The first question in this series (since I am in the middle of prepping my diapers):

How were you diapered as a child? Did your parents use cloth or disposable? Did how you were diapered affect how you are diapering your children?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 6:06pm

My mom used cloth, but eventually had to switch to disposable because I had a flaming rash all the time. 

Didn't affect my my decision to use disposable... I'm just way too lazy to mess with all of the cloth stuff :smileyhappy:

theresa-2.gif picture by forceps40

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 10:37pm
Well, I'm OLD. So, I was cloth diapered- the old fashion kind with pins and such. Pampers came out when my younger brothers were born. I was a premie- a 28 weeker back in the early 70's. My mom saved one of the diapers that she used on me when I was brought home from the hospital, it's very tiny. :smileyhappy:

I don't think that has anything to do with my decision. My husband doesn't want me washing diapers in our washer- the same washer in which we wash his dress shirts in (he wears dress shirts 5 to 6 days a week). I think these new cloth diapers are sure cute, though.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 3:09pm

My mom cloth diapered me until she got sick of the laundry and decided to go the disposable route. Me being half cloth/ half disposable did not affect my decision to cloth diaper my child. What really affected my decision was how she raised me to be environmental conscious. However, the way my DH was diapered did affect how he open he was to cloth diapering. He has been on board with it since day one because his mother cloth diapered his older brother and him until it was causing too many problems with the child care provider. She was using a diaper pail filled with water and the other children at the sitters kept knocking it over. I think having my family supporting my decision and curious about modern cloth diapering has really helped me move forward with it. If my DH was not 100% on board we would not be cloth diapering.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 5:43pm
I am not sure but I think I was at least partly cloth diapered - my parents were BROKE when they had me which would have drove the decision.
It had no bearing on my decision as well - I actually remember one day (about 5 or 6 mos into my first pg) I decided to look into cd to see what had changed, what current opinions were, what cost was like for the simple reason that I like to be open and make informed decisions and I could not walk away from what I saw once I opened myself up to it... I thought I was crazy! Showed all the info to DH and he was on board much faster than I would ever expect (cost being a huge factor to convince him) and he really likes them; he prefers the prefolds to pockets or fitteds.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 1:40pm
My mom used disposable diapers with me, but I know my grandmother used cloth with my mother because she was highly allergic to all brands of disposable.

I honestly never even gave it a thought when I have my 1st child. I really dont think I would want to deal with cleaning cloth diapers all the time, its just not for me. But I do think it is GREAT! I applaud the mamas that are doing it!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 4:31pm

I was clothed diapered, which I didn't know until recently.  My mom said they just didn't have the money for us to poop on it and then throw it away.  lol  She said she kept a few disposables on hand for if we went somewhere. 

I just always figured I'd use disposable, because "that's what ya do."  But I'm looking at other options now.  Saving money is definitely a plus for me. 

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2012 - 10:09pm
My mother used disposeables on me. I was her fifth kid and she had cloth diapered the rest.

She told me she regretted it. I've actually used cloth on both of my older kids. Didn't stick with it with DS and didn't start right away with DD. I know I will have some 'sposies around when we travel, but that's about it here!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012