I can't stop buying ALL THE THINGS

iVillage Member
I can't stop buying ALL THE THINGS
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 11:39pm

Everyone keeps telling me to wait until after my baby shower to buy stuff, but I can't stop myself! I am getting the "big stuff" mainly, and only because I'm finding sale prices. I just don't expect or even want to ask my shower attendees to buy the pricy things. So far I've gotten:

• Crib & mattress - a decently priced crib from Amazon and a great deal on a "green" mattress from Costco
  • Ergo Sport Carrier - also purchased from Costco for $40 less than most other retailers. Got it specifically with DH in mind. It's black, so he'll feel comfortable wearing it out
  • Pack 'n Play - only $50 from Costco - about $30-40 cheaper for this model than other retailers
  • Car Seat - got the Chicco Keyfit 30 in Fuego from Target (full price, sadly)
  • Chicco Liteway stroller - $30 off, also in black

I figure I will have other more moderately priced and cheaper items on my registry. And fun stuff. I'm just a little jazzed to be making such headway with the baby gear :smileyhappy:

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2012 - 11:46pm
Honestly, we never really waited, either. The only "big" thing that we waited on was our pack n' play that my MIL purchased for my shower gift. I registered for stuff like specific bottles and blankets and my Boppy. I got a TON of stuff I didn't register for, like clothes and goofy things that needed to be returned because I wouldn't use them (ahem. don't buy random bottles. kthx)

I wouldn't worry about it too much!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 1:38pm
I agree with the other ladies - buy the big stuff (that way you get what you want) because most shower gifts are clothes (tonnes and tonnes of clothes), bottles, blankets, etc. I have a couple more big ticket items to get (playpen and a dresser) and then I am done. I am not looking forward to answering the inevitable question from the inlaws about what happened to the playpen they gave us (worn out).
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 4:55pm

I'm glad to hear I'm not totally off base with my strategy. I figure the big things are important enough to get exactly what I want, especially after all the research I've put in. It makes me feel less panicky to get the big things taken care of. Because then if worse came to worst and Isaac was born early all that would be necessary (hopefully) would be a quick trip to Target for little things.

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 5:39pm

I read on What to Expects website that it is a good idea to buy the big things yourself so you get exactly what you want. http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/baby-shower-gift-list.aspx this list is really handy.

You are way ahead of me on buying everything. Today was our BIG shopping day since everything I wanted fom Target was on sale. We just bought the travel system I wanted and looked at the pack'n play to make sure it was exactly what we wanted for my mom's friends to buy us (they wanted to buy us something big since I used to hike with them and go to their book club). I got the stroller and carseat for $155 including tax and the system was normally over $200! 

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 5:56pm
Good deal! I love finding things on sale. That link is great. Reminded me of a couple other things to add to my registry.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2012 - 9:25pm
I understand not waiting. I didn't either with my first. I got the big stuff and when I had my shower I just got clothes and diapers, so it worked perfectly.

I'm thinking I'll get the Chicco Keyfit 30, also.

Yay for getting all ready for baby!
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2012 - 10:09am
I'm like you. I can't help myself. I have to feel prepared. :smileywink:
Lilypie Maternity tickers