I know it's early..

iVillage Member
I know it's early..
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 12:20am

..but I'm a list maker and planner. I like to have everything figured out early on. Will you be using a bassinet or will you go straight to crib? I'm thinking about getting a bassinet for right next to my bed for the first few months and then moving up to the crib when he/she is sleeping better through out the night. WDYT?

Also, I have to buy an all new crib because my DD's fell apart (literally). Do you think a white crib is girly? Or could it work for a boy too? I had a dark cherry colored one with my DD, but this pregnancy I'm really liking the white.

TIA!
Erin
mama to DD (3)
expecting # 2 November 10th, 2012

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 6:17am
We'll be using a bassinet (playard with the bassinet attachment) in our room for the first little while. I'm not sure for how long. I still haven't figured out if I'm going to have my youngest move in with my oldest or if I'm going to put the two youngest into the same room.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 6:18am
And I think white is fine for a boy. Back it up with blues, gray and yellow accents in the room and it could look really cute.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 9:30am

I had a cosleeper for my DD and she slept in that for 5 months.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 1:39pm
I think white could go either way. With light blue linens, it could definitely be for a boy too.

We never used our crib with #1 until she was 6 months old, mainly due to reflux issues and multiple night feedings. I think with this one, we'll just plan to have the baby in our room for a little while. I was thinking of getting one of these-
http://www.diapers.com/p/fisher-price-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper-154496?site=CI&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_campaign=Google&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=FS-791&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
We didn't use the bassinet for long last time since it was too flat. She ended up sleeping in her baby carrier, clicked into the stroller. She was much more comfortable and slept better.
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2012 - 11:19pm
With my DD she didn't use her crib until around 6 months either. I actually took it down around 6 weeks so we could have more room. For the first 3 months we co-slept (which will absolutly NOT be happening this time) and then she was in a bassinet for 3 months until we moved to the crib.

I've found a few nice bassinets that I like, I just really don't want to have to buy both a bassinet AND crib. LOL Oh well, I'll probably just suck it up.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:53am
With DD we.used the pnp bassinet for 2 months, then transitioned to the crib. We tried to do that with DS and transition at 3 months, but he had so much congestion that he spent a while sleeping in that Fisher Price thing someone elapsed posted. It worked great at keeping his head elevated and it was also great to travel with.

Tiffa, 35

DH, 36

DD born 10/15/08, Baby #2 due 10/18/10

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-08-2012 - 10:56am

I have a bassinette and a crib.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 1:15am
I had a bassinet with DS, but I really only used it for maybe 2 weeks (as I recovered from my c section). This time it just depends on where we are living. We are going to try to buy a house right before the baby comes (we just moved from OK, and are renting an apartment until the OK house sells, and after that we will try to buy here). The apartment we are in right now is just a 2 bedroom. I would def do a bassinet in our room so that the crying baby won't be in DS's room. But, if we are actually into a house, then the baby would probably be in their crib on the first night.

I'm loving the idea of a white crib also, but I do feel that it is girly. I really wanted white the first time, but since I was having a boy, I went with mohagonny (sp?). I've since sold that crib so we will have to start over.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 9:23am
I will be using a bassinet insert in our play in pack for the first little while at night. I will probably have the baby sleep in the crib during the daytime naps from the beginning, though. A couple of my babies have been horrible sleepers. My only baby that was a good sleeper was the one that I had a separate nursery set up from the time the baby came home from the hospital and used the crib from day one. So, I'm going to do that and hope for some sleep this time around!

I think white is good for both boys and girls. Just use bedding with blue.
Rachel Mom to five great kiddos and one angel in heaven (MC @ 9 weeks) Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 10:40am
I think using the crib for naptimes is GREAT! (if you're going to use a bassinet at night). Thanks for the idea!
Photobucket