Ideas for sack lunches & quick breakfasts?

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Ideas for sack lunches & quick breakfasts?
Thu, 08-09-2012 - 11:12pm

Hi all! I can't believe summer is flying by...I go back to teaching in 1 week! I've been used to leisurely eating whenever I want, whatever "tickles my fancy!" Haha. Now that I'm going back to a schedule, I'm a little nervous because I'll be getting up at 5:30am...I'm definitely not going to be ready for eggs and toast that early! Does anyone else bring their lunch/snacks to work? How about making fast but nutritious breakfasts? I know a nutrigrain bar isn't going to cut it for baby, but that's all I'm hungry for that early! What healthy lunch choices do you bring?

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 10:15am

I'm also not a huge early morning eater and I always have to GO early in the mornings.  I have a middle schooler with football practice and my DD has be be up and ready to roll by 7:45.  I do eat eggs and stuff, but not until mid-morning.  However, early in the morning, I'm fine with a smoothie.  I make a batch sometimes that lasts for several days.  Here are some of my favorite recipes. 

http://thequeenwillsit.blogspot.com/2011/04/cheater-cheater-chia-smoothie-eater.html

http://thequeenwillsit.blogspot.com/2011/01/too-late-for-breakfast-smoothie.html

Both are kid friendly, too. 

For eggs - this is SO, SO EASY and it really works well when I need some protein mid-morning.  I make muffin tin frittatas!  Sometimes, if I'm really lazy, I'll just make two regular pie dish frittatas.  My whole family will eat these gladly in the morning.  They reheat really well and they are super filling.  As an added bonus, you get veggies, too! You can make one on Sunday and it will last until at least Wednesday.  Or, if you make the muffin tin version (the big variety with six openings), you have breakfast all week. 

http://thequeenwillsit.blogspot.com/2011/01/because-im-cheater-at-breakfast.html

Sorry for all of the links, but the recipes are already posted and I'm sort of lazy!  Hope that helps!!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-10-2012 - 12:25pm
I haven't worked a day job in a few years but here is what I used to do...
-Grab something quick to eat when leaving bc I am not a morning eater but empty tummy and pregnancy never mixed well
-I had my own office so I kept a toaster there and would make a whole grain bagel with peanut butter when I was ready.
-I would also keep loads of raisins, dried apricots, and trailmix in my desk for snacks
-Lunch was often a piece of fruit (apples / bananas are best seasonal choices where i live), yogurt, carrot / veggie sticks and dip (hummus is my dip of choice bc it is good healthy tasty protein), crackers, cheese, and sometimes a pre-boiled egg or two. Another good option is to make extra supper the night before and take leftovers.
-Afternoon snacks were more of the raisins, apricots, trailmix stashed away in my desk or sometimes a special treat.
Tab
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!