I'm 40 weeks today! How much longer?!

iVillage Member
I'm 40 weeks today! How much longer?!
Tue, 11-13-2012 - 4:03pm

I must say I am suprised! So is everyone else I know. Still pregnant and baby's not showing me any signs that he wants out. My first was 2 days late, second was a day early and third was 3 weeks early. So, I assumed I would be early this time lol. Last Friday at my appointment I was told I was 1cm dilated. I have another appointment this Friday and am wondering if I should consider getting my membranes stripped? I just don't want a c-section, which I had with my second. For some reason I was sensitive to it and was throwing up every 5-10mins for almost 2 days straight. I don't want to go through that again. I have only done the stripping once with my first child. It DID hurt! But, 2 days later I had a baby. Laughing

Shall I wait patiently or go with the stripping? I also have to consider Thanksgiving Day, which is only 9 days away. I'm excited about seeing my baby, but then my mom has brought to my attention, "What if you're too exhausted to cook on Thanksgiving if you have the baby beforehand?" What would you do..?

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-21-2012 - 2:55pm
Sorry the stripping didn't work! Your baby must be nice and cozy and not in a hurry for it's birthday! :o) Goo luck with getting started!
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-20-2012 - 10:28pm

*****UPDATE*****

Still no baby yet! I got the stripping done on the 13th, but it obviously didn't work for me this time. Frown

While I was at that appointment, they said that if there is still not enough progress by the next visit (tomorrow) then they will schedule me in the hospital and break the water themselves and use pitocin if needed. I wonder if you can choose which day to go in to do this? 

I still can't believe I am 41 weeks today! This is by far my longest pregnancy. Wish me luck! Wink

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-19-2012 - 12:10am
I would go with stripping your membranes. That should get things moving!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-16-2012 - 7:20pm
I'd go with the stripping!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 8:08pm

I have no experience in your position.  My first came 17 days early and my second 10 days early.  I can say I'd really want to avoid a c-section too.  I'd say to talk over your options with your doctor and then go with your gut.  This birthing thing is a very instinctual thing.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2012 - 12:54pm

Tough call!  As you've noticed, every pregnancy is different.  I went ahead with membrane stripping during my third pregnancy and it did nothing!  I'd talk the options over with your doc to see how ready they think you are.  How far past due will they let you go? Do you know?

photo snowsiggy.png