Keeping the name a secret?

iVillage Member
Keeping the name a secret?
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 8:33am

Rosie Pope (maternity concierge and star of Bravo's 'Pregnant in Heels') recommends that you don't share your name choice unless you are ready to hear possible negative reactions.

'Pregnant in Heels' Star Rosie Pope on Baby NameTrends-http://www.ivillage.com/pregnant-heels-star-rosie-pope-baby-name-trends/6-a-337836?ice=iv:mb:msg:kp

Once you've decided on the perfect name, do you plan to share it with your friends

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 1:19pm
We've kept the names of our boys a secret and we'll be doing the same this time too. We figure if we tell everyone the gender, we might as well keep something for a surprise.
Jen
Wife to Steve
Mommy to Chase (5) and Jasper (1)
Step Mom to Elizabeth (12) and Christian (10) pregnant
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 1:23pm

I agree although I haven't ever kept mine a secret.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 3:33pm

just lurking but I wanted to join in!

Well if we are pregnant this time we will keep the name a secret from family and friends but will share with IVILLAGE. My 18 year old niece is pregnant and is due in Oct so I really dont want to tell her my girl name. Especially because she has already told me names she likes and they are very close to mine so I think she might take it. I never had names picked out this early but I love them so much and I am terrified of them being taken.

Photobucket THANKS TO Bab
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 7:08pm
We have never kept our names secret but we have never been set on a name either - both girls were (re)named after they were born. I find it helpful to get any input i can from family (ie can they pronounce it properly if not i will go crazy correcting them). The only time i have kept the secret is from a friend who was due a few weeks before me because i didn't want her to steal it unintentionally.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-18-2012 - 2:59pm
We already have our boy and girl names picked out, and I tell everyone when we tell them we are pregnant, lol! I'm not much of a secret keeper... Never have been. I feel like it makes it more real for me!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2012 - 10:25am
We will not be finding out the sex and also keeping our name choices a secret too. We like the surprise and giving everyone the surprise with the name. :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers