Laid off today...blessing in disguise?

iVillage Member
Laid off today...blessing in disguise?
Thu, 08-30-2012 - 11:31pm

Today I was unexpectedly laid off, along with a couple of other people in the company. Things had been slow for a while, but this kind of came out of left field. I was leaning toward not returning after the baby is born. They're eliminating my position entirely. While I am in a bit of a shock, I can't help but think this came at the right time. I had been struggling with the physical aspect of work and emotionally I wasn't doing so well. This morning in fact I had a pretty ugly cry in my car (pregnancy hormones didn't help, I'm sure).

I'm looking forward to taking the time before the baby to relax, prepare, help my mom out with my grandma's caretaking, focus better on my tutoring (I'm an adult literacy tutor). It's just strange that this morning I was employed and now I'm not.

How should I celebrate??

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 8:59am
A similar thing happened to my bf a few months before she had her 2nd child and she really enjoyed the extra time at home before her ds was born - I would have been upset in that situation bc her position was specifically chosen for layoff bc she was due to go on mat leave in a short period of time thus she would be 'less effected' than another co-worker. If the timing is good for you then enjoy the 'blessing in disguise' and don't worry about the politics of it.

How to celebrate - hmmmm... since drinking is out of the question I default to having/making your favourite meal and vegging / napping! Then if you are like me you will be nesting as much as you possibly can.
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 9:13am
I'm glad you're feeling secure in the timing of this event. It really is easier to get ready for a baby when your plate isn't as full! This is a very special time your life that you won't have again - you will never again be at home alone! Enjoy it!!

You can celebrate with me today. I'm having cookies in honor of the last day of my second trimester. They have oatmeal. I think that makes them healthy...

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 2:29pm
Sounds to me like it might have came at just the right time! I was fired from my position as a paralegal in June after telling my boss that I was pregnant. He actually told me that he knows I will need time off to have the baby, and he felt it was "better for the company" this way, I was shocked. I am now sung the company.

As horrible as it was at first, I am not glad that it happened. I search for a new job, but since I was already showing, I was unable to get hired anywhere! I am now back in school finishing my degree!

I feel that everything happens for a reason!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-31-2012 - 2:36pm

That's awesome! I'd like to go back for a graduate degree at some point. Deciding what for - now that is the problem! I am so indecisive.

Sometimes things truly work out the way they're supposed to. In my case I don't think I was laid off because I am pregnant (my employer was great, and they were very accomodating). It just worked out that way. I'm hopeful that this time off will be what I needed. I haven't been unemployed for more than a month or two since I was 16. It'll take some getting used to!

Julie - eagerly awaiting DH's homecoming & the arrival of our first DS, due 11/29/12