Looking for input on a couple of names.

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Looking for input on a couple of names.
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 3:54pm

So, I thought I was all set on a name for a girl and a boy.  Then I thought I'd changed my girl's name.  Now I'm just in a muddle.  DH is not much of any help.  He's stuck on a name he knows I won't use and so really has very little opinion on any others.

Genevieve Alice - This one is all about family.  Genevieve was the middle name of my honorary grandma.  Eve it the first half of my MIL and her mother's name (we used the second half for the middle name of DD1).  Alice is my mom's first name (her middle name is DD1's middle name).  Only concern is nickname (which is important to me).  I'm thinking Genna or Jenna, but people would be left questioning the spelling.  My sister suggested Genie or Jeanie, but I'm just not sold.

Katarina Ione - This one the first name is close to Katrina which my DH wants.  (I refuse to name my daughter after a hurricane ... especially when that's why he wants the name.  I think it's wrong to assume her personality based solely on birth order or give her an out for acting out of control.)  Ione was the first name of my honorary grandmother.  I thought we'd just call her Kate for short...a little worried about too many Kates/Katies, but not too worried.  DH insists she should be called Kat.  I think that's a spunky name for a teen or adult, but it feels like something that would only fit certain personalities...just feels too limiting.

Both go fine with DD's name, so that isn't an issue.  Maybe we're having a boy and it won't matter, but I can't count on that.  We were in the same place with DD.  We aren't the type of people who can look at a newborn and say they look like this name or that, so waiting to see the baby will not help.

Any thoughts on either of these names?  I'm hoping someone sees something in one of them that I am missing that will point me one way or the other.

Thanks,

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 4:04pm
I really like Genevieve Alice! The first nickname that came to mind for me is Evie or however you want to spell it. ( said like Eve - Ey ) I think thats really cute.

Im not really a huge fan of the the other name, but thats just my opinion.

However, Im sure no matter what name you decide on, if you have a little girl, her name will end up fitting her perfectly!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2012 - 10:23pm

I agree with Samantha, I really like Genevieve Alice as well. You can call her Eve, Gen,  or Viv. I am not really good with nick names, I am still trying to figure one out for mine.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-04-2012 - 11:25am
I vote for Genevieve Alice as well! I think it's a pretty name that has some cute nicknames you can use (Jen or Eve/Evie are my favorites). Katarina is nice, but it just doesn't seem to flow as well as Genevieve. Just my opinion, though. Good luck, you'll find the perfect name for your little one!

--Heather-- proud mommy to five amazing kids and one more on the way!!

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2012 - 6:09pm
I really like both names (sorry, perpetual fence sitter here).

I wanted to input on the nickname dilemma: I also have an uncommon name (Tabatha) and also hated until I was in grade 9 or 10 bc I always felt like I stood out like a sore thumb whenever a teacher (or other) said my name (I remember telling my mom I wanted to go by my middle name when I started grade 1 which she straight out refused). While growing up my family always referred to me as Tabby and rarely by my full name. When I was in grade 9/10 I started to explore my identity and name and was able to find an option that I was more comfortable with and I have continued to adjust my nickname as I get older (only dh gets to call my Tabi now, everyone else uses my full name or Tab).

So what I am getting at is that while having nickname options is good your child will ultimately determine what he or she will go by - pick the first name you like best and the rest will work itself out. Our first dd is named Annika and although we only call her by her full name I am aware that it will likely be shortened to a version I don't like in the near future (hate Annie, hoping for Anna or Nik) and I am also open to my second deciding that Jamie doesn't suit her and wanting to go by a version of her middle name (Elizabeth) instead.

Best of luck choosing, again beautiful choices!
Proud Mom to Annika (4), Jamie (3), and 4 angels. Anxiously awaiting Baby #3!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2012 - 10:03am

Sort of going on what tabigale said about choosing their name as they get older...  My SD's, 17, name is Anastasia.  Beautiful name for a beautiful girl.  When she was little and people would ask her name, she'd say "my name is Stasia" in that cute child voice.  Just because she couldn't quite say her entire name.  So...it stuck.  All family call her Stasia and her friends call her Ana.  DH says she'll just always be Stasia to him.

I like Genevieve Alice, FWIW.  :-)

Pregnancy%20ticker