Membrane Stripping- Yay or Nay?

iVillage Member
Membrane Stripping- Yay or Nay?
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 12:27pm

If your doctor offers, and you are close to your due date, will you go ahead with membrane stripping?  Have you had it done in previous pregnancies? Did it help get labor started?

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 12:38pm

My mother had it done when I was born.  I was a very unhappy newborn.  She always felt like she shouldn't have let him do it, that I was just born too early.  Either way...she said it hurt reeeeeally bad and would not recommend it.  So, I do forsee that in my future.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 9:16am

I have had it done and will likely have it done again.  My body is a "slow starter" and latent labor wears me out.  Considering that I have been contracting consistently (just not consistently enough to go to the hospital or call it "labor" for roughly 5 days, I'm totally willing to have my membranes stripped when my doctor feels like it is safe to do so. 

It's a minimally invasive technique to get the ball rolling - much nicer than pitocin!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 10:10am

Did it hurt?  My mom said it was terrible.  But that was also quite a while ago, when I was born.  :-)

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 10:23am

Let me put it this way: in the grand scheme of all things labor, it was trivial.  I was also a very loose 3 cm when I had it done. It was sort of like being checked by a water buffalo, followed by a massive contraction.  I didn't cry, I just sort of caught my breath.   I would have been far more miserable to stay in latent labor for another however many moons! 

I can honestly say this, too - when it comes to labor and delivery, I know that it hurt.  I can remember that much.  But have no actual recollection of the pain that I was in.  It was just part of life and I have had so much fun since I went through it!  My first was the worst - but it was all sorts of medically controlled and traumatic.  My second was so easy, comparitively.  If you want a little "nudge" stripping is a great way to get things rolling!  In the end, yes - it's uncomfortable.  But, so so cool!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012