My Step-son's birthday...need ideas.

iVillage Member
My Step-son's birthday...need ideas.
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 11:35am

Okay.  So his birthday is Nov 30.  My EDD is Nov 21.  I'm a FTM, so chances are high that I'll go over.  We need to have some kind of birthday party-ish plans for him that we can do somehow.  I don't know how to begin to plan something for a day that we have no clue when it would be.  He usually does a sleep over on the weekend of his birthday.  Um...not sure that'll happen this year at all.  But we can't just let his birthday go by with nothing.  And of course, he has that inner struggle of understanding and being okay with up in the air plans and then the sort of it's not fair, this baby is ruining my life, kind of thing.  He'll be 14. 

Any suggestions?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 2:17pm

I've never gone late.  I'm actually perfectly centered between where I went with my first two!  I've never made it beyond 39 weeks and 1 day.

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 11:43am

Mine's last match is Dec 8.  There's no way we won't have a baby in there somewhere.  But looking at when his birthday is, his wrestling tournamnets are totally throwing off any chance of a party the weekend of his birthday.  We could do a Sunday afternoon, which is probably the last day he'd ever pick, but the weekend before his birthday he'll be with his bio mom about 6 hours away for Thanksgiving and the weekend after his birthday is the final wrestling tournament.  So, it kind of takes the pressure off me a little since, it's not "my fault."  I know that sounds silly, but it plays in my head. 

We just need to pick a day now, but we'll probably plan something and then have backup chaperones in case I'm in labor.  But I figure DH will be able to make it, even if I can't.   

Maybe you'll make it through the game just fine.  We're still a couple of weeks away from our due dates.  I'm expecting to go late, being a FTM and my doctor is expecting it too.  Are you thinking you'll be really early this time around?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-08-2012 - 9:23am

It's so hard with kids his age, because mentally they "get it," but emotionally - they don't! 

My DS's last game is after my appointment this afternoon.  I'm going to laugh, cry, and everything inbetween if my water breaks before that game is over and I have that boy home!

Jules - Happily married and Momma to DS, DD and expecting our Caboose Baby 11/24/2012

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-07-2012 - 9:54am

We've got wrestling matches that we're having to plan around.  And he's asking about that.  He doesn't want us to miss those.  Not that we want to miss them, but this is just something we can't plan for.  He's starting to understand.  I just hope if we have miss something, he doesn't jump to the conclusion that he'll just be forgotten about forever.  I think we're going to plan for a birthday somewhere at a bowling alley or laser tag place and then if we can be there we will, but have some backup parent's on standby in case I'm in labor during that time.  But right now, it looks like as far as a birthday party, his hands are tied due to a wrestling tournament and not Lily's impending birth.  Whew.  :-)

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-06-2012 - 3:10pm

My DS will be 13 in March - and he's pretty much the same way emotionally about this baby.  His last football game is Thursday and he's only asked me about 400 times if I was going to be there.  I can tell you what has been on his list and what we're getting for him for Christmas and eventually for his birthday - a Swiss army knife, some shirts from American Eagle (with "NO GRAPHICS AND NO WORDS, MOM."), an Under Armour sweatshirt, Halo 4, a new cover for his Nook, iTunes/Barnes and Noble gift cards, a new football, mechanical pencils, drawing charcoal and movie money.  Usually, on the day of his birthday, we will take him to eat wherever he wants to go and I'll make a cake or we'll buy one or something.  He's never been much of a party kid.  I usually make his favorite breakfast on/around his birthday.  He typically wants to do something with at least one of his parents that has nothing to do with his little sister.  Last year, DH took him to see The Hunger Games and eat barbeque, just the two of them.  He loved that!